TIG

Welding ain't as easy as it looks ... That said , next time I go over to practice I'm taking my halogen light on it's tripod . I couldn't see the work or the puddle , kept sticking the tungsten to the work . Todays session was mostly welding the joint in a circle made of 1/4" round stock . He might actually be able to use a few of the ones I did... -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Welcome to Tig 101.

I can stick weld up,down, sideways, overhead and the same with MIG...but Tig still kicks my ass.

Oh I can put stuff together with TIG..but making it pretty....thats something I only dream about.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I had the same visibility problem with MIG , went to a big lens helmet which helped , then to an auto-dark and I can see better now . But a TIG arc doesn't put out that much visible light , so I'm going to try using a 500w halogen work light shining on the work . If I can see what's going on there I think I'll do much better . A big part of the problems yesterday were caused by me moving too slow and overheating the work . These products are polished to a high shine , any discoloration has to be sanded/polished . Extra work means less output and less profit ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I find that with my midrange autodark helmet I can't see anywhere near as well on a 9 setting as I can with my old fixed shade filter which is a 10. When refacing an anvil hardface I just gave up on the autodark as I couldn't see what I was doing well enough to lay a good bead and that was in bright sunlight. I know a few other that have had a similar experiences.

Reply to
David Billington

The halogen will help. I use a pair of them at night or indoors even with my autodark helmet.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thats exactly what I did I put a big assed halogen over my tig table and it helps a LOT.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Re the bifocal glasses. I had the same problem and bought a cheap pair of glasses with the same power as the lower portion of the bifocals. Just switch glasses when you are welding. Makes a world of difference :-)

Also useful when you are trying to do something hanging head downward or above your head when you can't tip your head enough to see through the bottom of your glasses.

Reply to
John B.

Not a bad idea . I'd have to get 2 pairs and swap a lens , got two wildly different prescriptions . I am not symmetrical ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

And you can specify the focal length you need. I measured mine and got ~18" IIRC. Much better than bifocals.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Over here there are innumerable shops that sell these cheap "reading glasses" for a couple of bucks a pair so it isn't a major financial decision to buy an extra pair :-)

Reply to
John B.

TIG -> use fixed-shade helmet? With TIG you tend to have the arc running for long times - few stop / starts. Plus you have a bit of time to sort yourself out after the arc lights. Fixed shade lens all kept clean - can see like in natural light if you choose right. Often use #9 shade for TIG. Opposite of story with MIG - where lots of stop / starts, have to get going at full speed and Autodarkener a blessing.

Rich S

Reply to
<void

I have a fixed shade helmet that I use just for TIG and it is a large format one and has a lighter area to help line up the torch but I need to get glasses or fit a magnifier inside. The autodark helmet I can fit a magnifier so use that for TIG at the moment and the welding is much closer. I appreciate the benefit of an autodark helmet for MIG and stick but even at a shade 9 setting I can't see the weld nearly as well as with a 10 fixed filter. With the fixed 10 I can see the weld and the area around it very clearly with MIG and stick but with the auto on a 9 I can't see the weld anywhere nearly as clearly and the area around the weld is largely lost even with extra illumination. I may try a test drive of a more expensive model if my local welding supplier is obliging. Most likely on some upcoming work I'll just use the fixed 10 and a work light for extra illumiation of the weld area.

Reply to
David Billington