tombstone

For the first time ever, I tried a Lincoln AC 250, a.k.a tombstone welder, today. (someone came today to buy it, so I had to test it) I was actually pleasantly surprised. Running welding beads with 6013 was as easy as with my Syncrowave was easy to maintain the arc, clearly no problems maintaining current, etc etc. I had much worse expectation for it.

Reply to
Ignoramus13081

Darn fine machine for the money, and one with the DC gives you a lot of range to weld.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Darn fine" s exactly the right word.

Ignoramus30145

Reply to
RoyJ

I actually used mine last for welding some 6" well casing to make parking bumpers and it did ok. I could weld half way around before it would start to get hot and produce crappy welds. By switching back and forth between cutting and welding I was able to get the job done ok.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I used the Miller buzzbox (Thunderbolt) for many years, at least 20. I loved the way that machine welded too. You just have to live with the low duty cycle. I wish they'd come up with a higher duty cycle version.

GWE

Ignoramus13081 wrote:

Reply to
Grant

Do you know what is the duty cycle at the 130 amp setting? I thought it should be at least 60%?

Ignoramus30145

I used mine for scratch start tig on SS for an ice cream company. IIRC, I paid $179 for it about 1983. Yer right, it was only for small rods, but one hell of a little machine for 3/32 rod and small TIG.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not sure, but there is a reason that "75" is usually circled, that's the highest is will run at 100%. This is the setting recommended when using it to thaw pipes... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

I don't care what you guys say about the tombstone, I like the thunderbolt better. It has stepless output control and I've seen "tombstones" that had dead or low power positions on their rotary switch because of bad contacts. Never a problem with the Thunderbolt. Engineman

Reply to
engineman

Well, when WE were as young as YOU are, Thunderbolts weren't around. It was a tombstone or a torpedo welder. Take yer pick. You young whippersnappers got all the good stuff, and didn't have to learn on crappy equipment. We did and we turned out okay...... okay ...... okay ........ okay .......okay ......... SLAP!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't know how old you are but I'll be 76 on the 22 nd. I had to leave my T-bolt behind 20 years ago when I moved to California because of too much baggage. Now I have a real POS, a NCG welder. But I still have fond memories of my belover T-bolt.

Eng> I don't care what you guys say about the tombstone, I like the

ng whippersnappers

Reply to
engineman

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Engineman

I'm 60. Thought the Thunderbolt was an early eighties introduction. Guess I was wrong. Again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They are actually a very usable welder. The AC/DC version is pretty decent as well, all things considered.

One of the best "portables"....(cringe)...that Ive ever found..is the old Lincoln Idealarc 250 or 300. Looks like an Tombstone but one blown up like a ballon.

Oddly enough..Ive never run across a dead one either, though most Ive seen look like hammered shit after being beaten on by maint shops everywhere.

I scored one in the last couple weeks, and it welds beautifully with any stick I can clamp in the holder

Gunner

Gunner Asch