Tools, tools, tools

A friend of mine is helping clear out a property for estate sale. This is in New Jersey.

The deceased owner was a collector to the point of being a pack rat, but with expensive tastes.

Up to now they've identified:

Three South Bend lathes, one with 18" swing, 12 foot ways and two others, a bench top and one on its own cast SB stand.

2-3 drill presses so far, floor and bench mounted, not sure yet of the brand names

3 other engine lathes not yet reached to identify

1 Type "M" (Le Blanc?) horizontal mill

10-15 hit & miss engines, 1 apparently for marine use -- one is branded John Deere

Several dozen Stanley planes and several dozen, as far as they have gotten so far, other antique planes

At least 2 wood lathes

Miscellaneous tooling for everything, but which the people doing the cleaning might not recognize, so ask and be prepared to send pictures to help them identify tools

1 engine from a WW2 P51 Mustang , heads off, but may still be around there

email: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com for more information and to get on the list of people he'll send updates.

Apparently, the house, basement and outbuildings are so stuffed with equipment that they literally have to clear paths just to see things and a lot hasn't been found yet.

Reply to
John Husvar

Steve,

email snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

He can let you know what kind of help he needs. The last I heard was they were looking for people to buy lots for resale or to auction themselves. I don't know too many specifics about that: I just get phone calls from Kim telling me what the latest finds are and asking me to post the availability.

John

Reply to
John Husvar

I would suggest considering donating that particular gem to an aerospace museum which would be able to restore it and put it on display. This piece of history deserves to be out where people can appreciate it.

Reply to
woodworker88

DO YOU NEED ANY HELP? I work on % basis, and have over 1,500 ebay sales, with 99.7 satisfaction. Piecing it out on ebay might be the best way to get the most money, but the longest and most labor intensive.

The P51 engine (if that's what it is) would be almost priceless. Heads or not.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

IIRC, they used two different engines in the P51: Allison V-1710s in the early ones, and Rolls-Royce Merlins (mostly Packard-built) in the late ones.

The Merlin was far superior.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ayep. And they're not sure which it is yet. They can see it, but not reach it for a good look. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

I met a gentleman once who spoke of being mustered out of the service at the end of WWII and scheduled to be married in two weeks. Passing through Nevada on his way home he chanced across and purchased surplus for a total of $10,000 one P-51 Mustang and two spare engines, new in their shipping containers. It was nearly his total net worth at the time and his fiancée made him give them back.

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

Marriage could cost someone a lot of fortune indeed!

Reply to
Jim R Studdard

He may own the airplane, but damned if I can see how he could possibly reach the pedals...

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Or, I think Tom Cruise owns a P51. Maybe he can use a spare in case his present one scientologically takes a crap.

That's a joke, son.

The museum would be a way for MANY people to enjoy the engine. I'm sure there's a body somewhere waiting for an engine.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

He apparently keeps it in a large closet. I suppose he has to, it's a big thing to keep in a small closet.

Reply to
Mike

Dude! SHE would have had to be the one to go. There's a lot of women out ther, but very few Mustangs.

Jim Chandler Mustang lover

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Reply to
JR North

At my father's funeral, January, 2002, two WW2 bombers and a P51 flew over. He was a flight engineer on bombers in the South Pacific. Yes, it would do good service in a flying specimen.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Almost every significant British plane in use in europe in WW2 was using the Merlin

Before i even start to research

the Merlin was used in Spitfires Hurricanes Lancasters Mosquitos Mustang P51B and later

Its easier to list the places it was not used in europe than list where it is used

I hope rolls royce still ahve the designs and patterns to an engine with that much historical significance

Reply to
Brent

Someone here on this NG was making a scale replica a couple or three years ago. He had the castings made by a sophisticated aluminum casting company in Canada, IIRC. I wonder how his project ended up?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If i get good enough as an hsm to look at a project like that and call it anything less than crazy and impossible i'll consider myself to be able to do a pretty good job.

in the meantime i might look for old diesels and 1 cylinder engines to play with before i try digging into a racehorse piston engine like that. Let alone trying to scale the engine down whilst taking into account the "unshrinkables"

Reply to
Brent

I don't remember who the guy was, but he sure sounded like he knew what he was doing, and he must have sunk a lot of money into it. I remember that he uploaded photos of the castings somewhere. Maybe it was to the Metalworking.com dropbox?

Anybody remember?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Aha! I found the 1/4-scale-model Merlin pix. Go to the dropbox (Metalworking.com), 2001_retired_files, and search on "Merlin."

It's an amazing piece of work, by Tom Kay. There is a text file that explains the project.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress