tow behind sled for snowmobile

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fabricate the ski portion of a tow behind sled for a snowmobile? We used to have a Fold-A Sled and it would be really easy to build one, but the ski part has me stumped.

I have also thought about one of those tubs used by framers to pull loads around the fields...

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

I've seen car hoods used straight as they come from the auto wreckers. No skiis.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Use a stamping press.

Otherwise just go and buy skis at the wreckers or your local snowmobile parts supplier. Much cheaper.

Reply to
Gung Ho

The problem is that I don't have a stamping press (you already knew that) and the skis on the average fold a sled are about 8 feet long

I'm th>Use a stamping press.

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

Sorry, I guess I'm just not picturing it well today =-)

What's your profile shape?

Do you have access to a sheet metal brake?

Can you just use 4 smaller skis in place of 2?

Looks like it would be cheaper to just buy a complete new one at $230.

Reply to
Gung Ho

Consider using a 6 - 8 inch slice from a corrugated culvert, cutting it and then heating and straightening it out. Gives strength and lateral stability. A 1.5' dia culvert will give you a ski of about 4' long.

Reply to
Jtown2354