Vise ID

I bought this ERON No. 100 4" vise for $10 at a yard sale. It is heavy. Instead of an anvil, it has a lip. I was wondering if this is a special use vise. The rectangular sliding part would not be a good place to pound on, as it would break, but on that one jaw boss is just that lippy thing. Whatever, I'll use it, but noticed that after I got home. Damn good old vise, and priced right. Will spray it red, and have to get one countersink for one of the jaws. I asked in metalworking but no one seems to know.

Also got a 6' prybar for $2.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Looks to me like a clone of a classic English, Record brand vise and suspect you will be very happy with it. IMHO they are a very good design, but (like all old things) like to have their main screw oiled regularly. They are easy to disassemble for cleaning and oiling, IIRC just drive out the roll pin at the rear of the screw. There is a large spring around the screw that takes up the slack and helps the jaw to open evenly. This spring is often rusted or broken but can be easily replaced with a new spring or with flat washers. The lip is to prevent filings or cuttings or other abrasive from falling on the top of the slide where they will accumulate on the oiled bearing surfaces at the edge. I would NOT use any part of this vise as an anvil or for more than very light banging. I doubt that the quality of the cast is as good as the Record brand but YMMV. I have seen many similar vises successfully repaired by brazing but suggest that the repair effort would have been better spent building a RR rail anvil.

Good luck,

Reply to
Private

Makes sense. I wouldn't hammer on any part of this vise. It is sturdy and heavy, but cast, therefore brittle. Gonna give it a good look in a couple of days. Been looking for a vise, and had allotted $20. I really needed a prybar, too with the rocks around here.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I bet it is a specialized one - might be for a tool rest - punches or chisels or a file rest.

Mart>

Martin H. Eastburn