Website update: Gallery up and running.

OK guys the fateful day has arrived. My photo gallery is up and running. We worked out a few kinks over the last few days, and besides a few
grammatical errors that I will see too soon, it is working fine.
If you have any trouble with it, please email me.
http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/index.html
A friend of mine, Mike Slass, gets credit for the gallery. He wrote a Liniux program that takes a file tree of images and text files and generates the entire gallery in HTML.
So now you can see the Opera Dragon belch fire
<http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/theatre_-_tv_-_film/opera/ring_cycle / index.html>
The endless railing jobs
<http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/residential/by_type_of_work/railings / index.html>
and and even screen shots of me from "The Postman".
<http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/theatre_-_tv_-_film/the_postman/index . html>
Of course now I will end up with a HUGE bandwidth charge from Earthlink.

Looks good Ernie!
I have seen that dragon in my dreams...er.....nightmares I am pretty sure.
Keep up the wonderful job you have been doing in offering advice to budding metalworkers. Steve

Very nice Ernie, thanks for sharing. I took a quick peek around, very impressive work. I'll look at every picture later this evening.
Lane
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:50:18 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

Nice work! The Dragon is beyond cool.
-Carl
"If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman
Gosh. Who knew you were a movie star too? Perhaps WB would help with that WELDING VIDEO. Or as I'm sure you're pretty tight with Kevin now (you must do lunch all the time), maybe he might wanna help a fellow SAG buddy.
Neat site though. A number of pics wouldn't come up for me, but it may be my webtv. Will probably have questions later after I go through it more. Thanks for sharing.

I never spoke so no SAG card.
The on-set medic got a speaking line so he got his SAG card.

Some of them are high res GIF images and a few are DXF vector files for CAD programs.

Nice job Ernie!
Looks like I'll be 'out of a job' real soon! :-) < LOL, ducking and running for cover >
Larry www.WeldingFaq.com 'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Great work! Ken.

very nice! thanks for sharing your work. walt
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Wow, a lot of cool stuff!
Are those garage door springs on the hydraulic press? Those things snap after so many cycles. And, they are REAL exciting when they do. I've been in the garage twice when mine let go, and I was REALLY glad somebody had told me about the safety cables for them. One time, the whole spring went into a wall and nearly tore down the whole garage!
Safety cables would help in your design, but I wouldn't want to be operating the press just inches from those springs if they let go, safety cable or not!
Just a thought....
Jon

Yeah, something tells me something in your pants would let loose when those things do!
Tim
-- "Just remember, Man was made in God's image. Woman was created out of a rib, which, quite honestly, is a cheaper cut of meat." - toon Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

The garage door springs are under very little stress. The springs on the air-hydraulic jack are compressing the cylinder. The springs only have to lift the weight of the upper carriage.
I might add some safety cables anyway.

Did you build that mailbox for the local bomb squad! Nice stuff.

It is for a friend who lives in the country. Identity theft is sweeping Washington state, especially in rural areas where mailboxes are sometimes miles from a house.
Bomb-shelter mailboxes are getting very popular. Usually welding to a 10 foot length of 4" pipe driven into the ground.

Yeah I made my own locking mailbox for the same reason. I got tired of finding my mail on the ground and opened. I too live in Washington, about 60 miles north of Ernie.
Ernie, I've looked at everything in your online gallery. All I can say is wow what a talented guy! And I have a couple of questions. Is there anything you can't do? Have you ever turned down a job?
My hat is off to you.
Lane

I have turned down jobs from people who worried me. Sometimes you talk with somebody about a project, and you get small clues to their personallity that scream at you, "RUN AWAY!!!".
There is no metal job that I would say no to because I hadn't ever done it. I will turn down jobs with no profit in them.

I used to have problems with local kids playing "mailbox baseball" with my rural tin mailbox on top of a 4x4 wood post. They would drive by with a baseball bat whilst hanging out the window. It would usually take one hit to destroy the box.
I took a brand new mailbox, and lined it with 3/8 plate, and put that on a pipe. I covered the post with four one by's to make it look like a 4x post, and set it about 2' into the ground into concrete, which was intentionally cocked a few degrees. I came by one day to see a new dent in the mailbox. The plate held up well. I straightened the little metal red flag. About every couple of years, it would take a new hit, when the previous mailbox baseball team graduated and a new batch of 16 year olds would take up the sport.
I would have given 50 bucks to see one of them hit it with a baseball bat.
CLUNK ! ! !
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Oh yeah! Bongggg! CRACK! OW! *#&(*#&
There was a great thread about two years ago about a guy who built one of those brick mailbox posts with a piece of 4" Kelley bar inside, buried in 4 feet of concrete below the post. Some guys in a 4WD truck tried to knock it over. no luck. They went and got a friend with another 4WD to assist, still no luck. Then, the guy in back backed up and rammed the truck in front, totalling out the engine in the lead vandal's (dad's) new truck! That truck had to be abandoned, and the sheriff was there when the guys returned, presumably with towing chains. OOPS! Not only totalled a new truck, but got picked up for willful destruction of property. The neighbors no doubt heard that lecture half a mile away!
Jon
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Beautiful stuff in a well designed site.
Thanks, Ernie
Ted
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:50:18 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

Nice work, thanks to both of you for sharing.
The pneumatic shear.... one of those "why didn't I think of that"
Wayne