Welder that sat outside for a year

Miller GoldStar 300S like this one (not identical)

Would you say that it is guaranteed to become unusable if it sits outside for a year, in Illinois climate?

Reply to
Ignoramus17809

Covered, or uncovered...under a overhead or out in the middle of the back yard?

Id say its still likely to be ok, unless it was filled with water/snow

shrug

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Covered with tarp part of the time and uncovered another part of the time. In the middle of the train museum yard.

Reply to
Ignoramus17809

I see large welders on trailers, and flatbeds all the time here. I know they are not inside a shop - they are on pipelines and ranches...... Most are the Generator type - but some are not.

If you can get it plugged in and turned on - even if you don't draw power on a load - you know the transformer isn't toast - check to see if it draws power in the standby.

Otherwise - you roll dice and see how it comes out.

Martin

Mart> >

Martin H. Eastburn

Likely it is fine, but you should pull the covers off and give it a good blast with compressed air.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

This welder works great. That's the final conclusion. I was surprised but there seems to be nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
Ignoramus25244

"Ignoramus25244" wrote

You got lucky. I'd still store it in the garage or under cover, even though it has proven it's a tough guy.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB