welding aluminum with deca 135e

Hi, all!
I have a deca 135e wirefeed welder. I plan to use it mostly for autobody and
bike frames.
I was having trouble burning holes through 22 guage sheet metal, but thanks
to a previous thread, I've switched from
.035 fluxcore to .030 fluxcore with adequate results. I will probably switch
to gas when I can afford to.
There is a teflon liner kit available for aluminum. what results can I
expect from an 55-85A welder on aluminum?
can I weld 1/16" bike tubing with this? or 1/16" to 1/8 bracket?
thanks,
- Chris
Reply to
Chris
I'm totally amazed you can weld anything at all with it!
Reply to
Potblak
In all seriousness, I'd like to know as well. I started the earlier thread WRT the .035 fluxcore wire for autobody on the Deca 135e. I'm switching to .023 and looking into getting a bottle now, but Ottawa has little to no welding equipment supply stores. I can get a bottle from AirLiquide or BOC but I haven't been able to find a place I can walk into and look at low to mid range MIGs. so for the time being I've got this Deca from Princess auto and it seems that I'm limited to that. phonebooks and internet have yielded little help and word of mouth has been ineffective.
I'd also like to take a crack at Al welding in the future and would hope that the machine I settle on is capable of at least attempting it.
comments? ideas? suggestions?
-mark ottawa, canada
Reply to
mkzero
The little 120 volt welders run OK on flux core, use the smaller wire to get a better match of wire to the heat output. For thin sections ie 20 to 24 ga, you really need to use gas rather than flux core for shielding. The polarity changes when going from flux to gas shield, puts a bit less heat into the base material, results in less burn though, not to mention no flux residue when you are done.
None of the 120 volt welders does a good job on aluminum. Just not enough heat and more importantly, not enough control of the weld parameters. Even if you use the teflon liner, you will need to use .023" wire, just about impossible to push the wire through without bird's nests in the feed roller. This is not to say you couldn't do an occasional small bracket but I wouldn't want to depend on either getting the weld done or the strength of the result.
Chris wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
You could try Ottawa Fastener Supply, They cary the Hobart brand, they usually have a couple of different machines on the floor ranging from the little 135 A machines all the way up to Hobarts version of the Bobcat 225. More often the machines on display stop at the 210 A floor size (ie it's on wheels) of MIG welder. The staff don't know a lot about welding, it is a tools and fasteners type of place.
Al North Gower, (sort of Ottawa)
Reply to
Alan R, Owler
Air Liquired on enterprise had a miller 135 and praxair on startop had a lincoln SP135 PLus last I checked (A little while ago because i now have an air liquide account)
The deca's strike me as "lowest bidder" machines
The hobarts seem like ok machines in the 135-175 amp type range
and they make a 200 and 250 which is more than the retail shops will touch but form looking at the collection of semi junk kicking around places liek the algonquin shop a lot of the no name 135 ampers are in use int he autobody classes too (BLue point and Canox)
Brent Stittsville with a miller XMt 304 inverter setup for tig thats way too big for what i need
Reply to
Brent Philion