welding around permanent magnets possible?

I have a customer that uses magnetic separators in his plant processes, the kind with a couple of rows of magnets inside stainless tube arranged in staggered rows , well he has several that his guys have dropped and broken some of the grating on the assembly loose, I would like to weld these back together for him but the magnets make the tig go nuts? I believe they have been welded before as the tubes containing the magnets are sealed and capped by a tig welded plate, is there method to do this?

Reply to
williamhenry

You can TIG weld stainless steel using AC. It sucks but it will work. An AC arc should be less affected by the magnets.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

thanks Ernie I will try that and let you know

Reply to
williamhenry

A torch won't have any problem w/ magnet effecting the welding equip (Rod may be harder to hold but workable).

Reply to
reitze

But be very careful to keep the flame off ferrite magnets - they explode !!!

Don't ask how I know !!!!!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson