Welding Austenitic Ductile Iron Seal retaining ring in Seattle area

Guys, I would appreciate any info you might be able to provide to me regarding a weld build-up repair of a rudder seal retaining split ring that is made out of Austenitic ductile iron. Think of a large disc, about 4 feet in diameter, about 1" thick, that is cut in half, so there are two "(" pieces. This part is what holds the seal in on the lower side of a rudder post, and fits between the hull and the rudder. It runs in saltwater, and our problem is that the seal riding surface has become corroded and pitted badly, to where we need to skim about 1/8 inch off of a 4-5 inch area on the inside of the retaining ring, then build this area back up or otherwise restore the thickness. If anyone knows what a FFG-7 class ship is, then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Since this ship is in Seattle, I'd really like to keep the repairs there, if possible. Our prime contractor does not have the heat treatment facilities I think are necessary to do this, but he does have a qualified process and qualified welders to do the job - but I need someone else that can do this.

I know this isn't a lot of info, but could some of you seattleites let me know if you think someone you've had experience with could weld this material, and further, whether they can accomodate something that is quite large? r/ Steve

Reply to
SPR