welding helmet

I also had an experience with one of these, got to see it close up and in detail.
I had no reason to take any pictures of it, but it's only been a
couple of months ago and the memory is still fresh in my mind.
It contained no battery of any kind.
del
wrote:

my '34 Ford Project: http://danl.starband.net/default.htm
In any case, users would be wise to consider the purchase in light of the fact that user replaceable batteries are preferrable to so-called "solar" powered helmets.
The limited-life "solar" powered helmets are good only for the welding suppliers. Especially when comparing replacement cost, and the minimum of care required to keep one's helmet working.
Readers on this list will do the math rather quickly. The user-replaceable battery models are easily serviced when it comes time to replace batteries, and cost about the same for comparable features.
The other models are expensive when considering the need to carry a backup, or to spend a lot of money when they fail, in addition to the inconvenience in having to replace a unit at an innoportune time.
Again, only welding suppliers want you to buy a unit that doesn't have user replaceable batteries.
Thank you to all for the great insights!
34FiveWindow wrote:

Then..if you drop a 3 lb shop hammer on a $280 helmet...rather than a $59 one..you can buy 1/5th of a new one.
Gunner

The two helmets you are comparing are not likely to have the same comfort, adjustment or safety features.
Perhaps you don't place that much value on your eyes, but that is the ultimate cost factor in the equation. The "invisible" cost that you don't get to pay until it's too late.
Or maybe you buy helmets for other people, and who cares if they get cataracts in forty years. You'll have made or saved a hundred and fifty dollars?
An cheap and ill fitting helmet will allow more light to pass to the eyes. Poor timing regulation will do the same, as will poor quality optics.
If these $60 helmets exhibit long activation delay because of cheap electronics, no thanks.
Gunner Asch wrote:

Well...Ive used a lot of helmets a time or two. The HF seems to work just as good as my buds Speedglas, at 1/5 the price. They claim to pass all the ANSI standards and as far as activation delay..Ive used my solar powered one at night in my moderately dark shop to TIG at 10 amps with. No delay noted. In fact..my angle grinder may trip it occasionally.
But hey...buy what ya want. And Ill do the same. Thats called different strokes for different folks.
Say..you arent the guy over on misc.survivalism that claims a HF hammer used for framing a house..will build an inferior house to one hammered with an Estwing...are ya?
Gunner

I'd be really surprised if the cheap one didn't protect you adaquately.
I bought two auto-darkening helmets in my brief (6 months) welding experience (almost all TIG). First one was a really cheapo eBay one that is probably much like one of the HF ones, but I don't know which one. Seemed fine except maybe ultra conservative, since it somehow seemed to sense the arc-start HV and would go dark as soon as I hit the TIG pedal even if there was no arc at all yet.
The second one is a fairly expensive Jackson Executive. Much bigger view window and very clear visibilty in the non-dark mode. You clearly see what you are about to do (before the arc) and then clearly see the arc when dark. Nice even view and a color that is very comfortable. More adjustments on the good one. Maybe I'll eventually think of a reason to change something other than the shade number. Probably would feel good to both novice and experienced welders, but really helps us dummies look and feel better.
Both work. The expensive one is much easier, especially since my talents suck and it is nice to clearly see what you are about to do as you start and exactly what you are screwing up while welding. I think the good one makes it easier to learn, but both work, especially after you get adaquate at knowing your arc from a hole in the metal.
One lesson I learned on the good one is that it automatically turns itself off if you don't use it for some time (15 - 30 minutes?). I think that it has been mentioned here that the arc won't damage your eyes on a proper helmet even if it doesn't darken. It IS damn bright though. Nobody should deliberately do it as an experiment. I will now always hit the ON button if I pick the helmet up after doing some other stuff for a while.

As far as I understand, the real danger to eyes is UV radiation. All welding helmets have permanent UV protection that exists regardless of whether the helmet has darkened or not. The visible light is not a big danger.
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:06:27 GMT, Ignoramus16356

My experiene with the inexpensive auto-darks is that the cartridge didn't darken uniformly -- there was usually a gradient between the top edge and the bottom edge equivalent to about 1.5 filter steps. ie. About a #11 filter along the top and about a #9.5 filter along the bottom. This was about three years ago, so the product might have been improved since then.
I had a small pallet load of 96 -- same manufacturer, same batch, same lot -- all the helmets exhibited the same "feature". After I finished saving money, I decided that I would use a cheap auto-dark helmet ONLY when it was the right tool for the job. :)
My current inventory has three manual-dark Jacksons for real work, and two auto-dark Optrels for Sundays, Holidays, and Special Occasions -- a guy's gotta dress up sometimes. :)

Prefer air-powered nailers. Quality of a house is a dependent on many factors. A lousy hammer may affect worker disposition, which may impact house quality... Hopefully you have a sense of humor. ;-0
It seems as though the issue of batteries being inside your solar-powered helmet hasn't been resolved yet. Apparently capacitors and batteries are easily confused.
So, we're right back to square one, but with a twist.
If your so-called solar powered helmet has batteries embedded in it, which it likely has, it will take a few years, but by taking care of your Speedglas, you will not only be more comfortable, but will amortize your money relatively easily.
My thoughts therefore are that with a minimum of care, I'm going to be ahead in many ways. The first is convenience by replacing batteries instead of helmets, and by having a much better helmet.

Make a note..and in say...5 yrs, we can discuss this subject again.
Agreed?
Gunner
All I can add to all this is my HF worked very well for less than 4 months then died. It did have alittle problem with low amp tig sometimes but not often. I will stick with my Miller big window elite. Replaceable batteries and loads of plastic shields that came with it. I can asure you that a HF solar powered helmet indeed has batteries. I don't say this to start anything but just had to say it. Buke

Id be happy to, if Id not tossed the remains into the trash can in disgust. Dropping the 3lb shop hammer on the face of the mask..well..the cover glass didnt do much to protect it.
As other posters have stated..solar powered lenses use capacitors for the most part. Some use an actual rechargable battery, but fewer and fewer are..and I dont think Ive seen one on the shelves in 2-3 yrs.
Ill ask you a question..those new fangled Seiko Kinetic Quartz watchs..do they store the power in batteries or caps?
Gunner