Weldor banished to the office

Hello everyone

Finally found a new job and things were going great installing misc metals and welding, the foreman asked if I could fit a few things together,,,of course I can. Then I was a fitter "no more welding for me".

Found a few problems with prints including design errors, owner asks can you do better,,,,,mouth was in gear before the brain and I said yes. So I was asked to detail misc metals for two schools, all the detailers were swamped and could take on no more work.

Started detailing at night and fitting during the day, while dropping off a set of prints I was asked how long it would take to make a particular type of roof ladder, my answer was 3 days and $1200 dollars.

So as of last week I am no longer allowed on the shop floor just the office for me doing take-offs for all tenders that come through the door and detailing structural and misc metals when we get them.

The worst part of it all is I miss welding, I may soon be joining the ranks of the hobby welder just so I can get a bead or two in every day. But I did learn a valuable lesson- If you like what you are doing keep your mouth shut or you may get promoted into a position where you don't get to do what you like most "Weld"

John

Reply to
John Noon

John Noon wrote in article ...

If you are actually as valuable to the company as you seem to suggest you are, you should be able to write your own job description....which could easily include a certain amount of welding every day/week/month.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Actually that is in the works, and I have started to put together a list of options just to see what I could best accomplish in this area.

Now it is a matter of gaining experience in the office and borrowing a welding machine when I go through withdrawals.

John

Reply to
John Noon

As you are quickly learning John there is no money in welding. It is all those other skills that make you valuable and able to command more dollars. In my experience steel fabricators who can weld often end up after a few years in lead hand /management positions. That's where you are headed. you will have to decide what you will do in the next five years. Strike out on your own??? Maybe climb the management ladder??? Quit and next time keep your trap shut??? :')) Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Have you mentioned the word "payrise" to your boss recently? now might be the time to make it pay. "If you are going to sell your soul, ask for a high price" Geoff

Reply to
Geoff M

Amen. If your under the hood, however that's not to say it's not a rewarding experience. (Welding, not the paycheck) Of course there are always a few exceptions, but few.

Reply to
Richard