What are you paying for 1/8 and 3/32 6013?

Have rod prices shot up lately like everything else?

I am just wondering if I would save money by ordering rod or would the shipping cancel the savings.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

No replies.

I am paying 12 bux for five pounds -crazy.

Reply to
jusme

Last year, I bought two 10 lb packs for $30 delivered (on eBay). They were good electrodes. I am keeping the remainder of the opened pack in my electrode oven, which doubles as my foot warmer under my desk where I am typing this. The unopened pack is on my water heater where it is being kept slightly warm.

Ignoramus21499

What does it matter?

If you're doing production welding, using 100# a week, there's a difference than someone using six rods and charging fifty bucks for a repair job. If you're using enough materials, you'll find the best price. If you're getting ten bucks a rod, what's the difference?

And when you need rod and go to the store, the welding geek has only two questions .......... do you want it ........ or not?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Gunner, do you have any 308 stainless rod?

Ignoramus10962

So, Iggy, you got 20lbs. of rod for 30 bucks? Great

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Yes. It was a lot more than I needed. I used up only about 2-3 lbs of the rod on my trailer.

I am also very satisfied with this rod, I think that it is called Washington Alloy.

I looked up McMaster-Carr and found out that they sell 1/8" 7018 for

5.70 per 1 lb, or 14.45 per 5 lb. A little more expensive (about twice), but also acceptable.

If you have a small project requiring 7018, it would probably make sense to just buy 1 lb of rod at your local supplier for 5 bucks or whatever.

Ignoramus10962

"Ignoramus10962" wrote

For ME, just find a good brand of 7018 and buy a 50 # box. Keep it dry, and you'll use it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the PITA it is when you need four pounds for a job, and all you have is three. Over time, one will save a lot by buying a big box and eventually using it. The stuff gets higher every day, so what you have in the garage (37#) is probably what a box would cost today. Don't forget the gas and the days and odd hours when the welding store is closed.

My two pennies.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, do you have a big rod oven for 50 lbs of rod? How do you keep it dry?

My oven is good only for 10 lbs of rod.

Ignoramus10962

SteveB,

I used to buy in 50lb tins but way too expensive now. j/b

Reply to
jusme

Also check out

E7018 WELDING ELECTRODE, 1/8'', 2 LB $4.99

Ignoramus10962

Reply to
Phil

Phil,

That must be a highly-specialized alloy, 'eh, what?

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Reply to