what is the process for welding the flange section of railway line to a steel beam

what is the process for welding the base (flange) of railway line to a steel beam. the two items must be seal welded to prevent corrosion.
do we use inner shield, MIG or low hydrogen electrodes, with or without pre-heat, current ambient temperature is 27c. we have had problems with the rail flange cracking along side the weld.

Would it be cheaper to use an austenitic weld metal like 309? Welding rods would cost, but no preheat with its equipment/costs(?) As this is seal-weld (really and truly? Little / no strength required?) low yield strength of 309 irrelevant?

309 would not be my choice for a high cyclic load joint like a railroad rail. It is tough, but will develop stress fractures faster than a HSLA rod like 8018.
There should be a variant of 8018 tailored to manganese steels. Lincoln makes a bunch of 8018 variants for different HSLA steels.