Which aluminum rod to use?

Re bottom taps. What I've done in a couple of cases was to tap the hole with the standard bottom tap and than grind the end off the tap until it will cit a full thread right to the end of the hole. I might have been fooling myself but it did allow an extra half a turn of threads in the hole :-)

Reply to
John B.

Pretty interesting stuff there.

Here's a tip - doesn't work for the job at hand, but it comes up often enou gh in motorcycle repair - You can fix a stripped m6x1.0 hole by substitutin g a 1/4-20 bolt for the original. Just enough larger, and just coarse enoug h to screw right in with no drilling or tapping.

Back in the day, I did hundreds of those, mostly for the valve covers of Ho nda CB450s. Each cover had 8 screws and it was a pretty rare thing to find a head without at least a few of them stripped. This was an easy, cheap fix .

I'm sure there are other similar combinations of fasteners that can be subs tituted for each other, but this is the one that I know about from actual e xperience.

Reply to
Jesse Bear