Wrought Iron railing book

I would like to learn more about building techniques for building wrought iron railings. Is there any books or websites I should seek out? Steve

Reply to
Sven

It depends on what you mean.

Hand built from scratch railings take a lot of skill and effort.

Anybody can build railings from components.

Check out

Ernie Leimkuhler

What do you regard as "wrought iron railings" ?

There's a wide range from bolting together components, to welding up standard bar and tube stock, through to "artist smithing"

If you're interested in the artist end of things, then I suggest a course. I was lucky enough to take a weekend course with Pter Parkinson this year. I made this

He's also the author of one of the few good art-smithing books out there "The Artist Blacksmith: Design and Techniques"

Dona Z. Meilach also has a couple of good books out there "Decorative and Sculptural Ironwork: Tools, Techniques, Inspiration"

and "The Contemporary Blacksmith"

You'll find ABANA or BABA the relevant associations for artist blacksmiths and their magazines are good reading. There's also an alt.crafts.blacksmithing usenet group.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What I am planning on doing is using some factory components with some handformed and CNC plasma cut details. I would like to see some info on planning and designing railing. I also need info on forming bends in handrail caps although I have seen some techniques such as splitting the handrail bending the two pieces separately and joining them back together. I learned long ago that blazing a new path is a hard way to learn things people learned long ago. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Sven