tripod

Howdy yall.I took into my head yesterday to try forging an old-timey tripod for hanging stuff over fires etc.Ive never looked closely at one,..and ive no examples to look at and see how the three legs are suppsosed to lock together at the top.Ive been fiddleing around with several models made from steel wire.Some how i suspect the design started as a puzzle.Does anyone have a pic or diagram of the way they are supposed to fit together?Thanks in advance!

People do not know,because people do not do.

Reply to
Hamma Head

I've seen a couple. One, not strictly a tripod, was two uprights with a bar across. The uprights were folded, then a flat hook forged in the bent part: ^ || ||/ ~30 inches high, hook about 1.5 inches from top | | The horizontal had a ring forged at one end and an upset stop at t'other. I like this style because you can move your pots back and forth to get just the right heat. Lots of S hooks for hanging kettles, of course.

Tripod was two ringed bars with a hooked one, kinda like the one illustrated, stuck up through the paired rings. There's bound to be about as many designs as there are smiths...

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

This is one way of doing it.

Reply to
Tom Stovall

That's cool Tom! Neat design.

GA

Reply to
Greyangel

Thanks for the help,yall!Its silly,..i've must have been around hundreds of old and antique tripods over the years,..just never stopped to look at one close.I reckon theres a lesson in that somewhere. Tom,.thats a great looking design!Those goods look top-notch!Thanks!!

People do not know,because people do not do.

Reply to
Hamma Head

I would like to thank you as well. I happened to be tryinh to locate a good design as well. This is an excellent example.

And Hamma Head, thanx for asking the original question.

Rodney

Reply to
Drakon1

Here's a couple of tripods I've made. But I must say for nearly every request I get to make a tripod, people usually come back and by a bi-pod later. Tripods are just a pain to set up (most varieties) and limit your options while cooking.

Here's a couple of ones I've made

Gobae - The Smith

blksmith