Guide to electric air compressors for home shops

..There are six things you need to know about compressors: The maximum PRESSURE that it develops, the rated VOLUME it can deliver, the amount of compressed air it can STORE, how LONG the motor can run (which is also known as "duty cycle"), how much electrical POWER it's going to take to run, and how much NOISE it's going to make....

Continued:

DC

All the advice in the article is good stuff. One critical point is missing, however, The author should have added a section named "Delivery". More power is wasted by undersized or over long hoses and restrictive couplings than any other feature. The ubiquitous 1/4" Milton M fittings almost everyone buys are serious offenders in that respect. That is why so many shops for years kept buying air compressors with higher and higher tank pressure ratings. The currently popular 175 PSI rating is absurdly dangerous because design parameters of most air tools are by regulation pegged at 90 PSI. Milton some years ago introduced the "V" series plugs and couplers. These have substantially higher flow rates than the "M" series which

98% of the lads reading this now have in their shop. The specs are listed in the Milton catalog available (PDF) online. I converted my shop some time ago when they were first introduced to improve my HVLP paint systems. Couple this with a good quality 3/8" air hose (throw out those wretched 1/4" hoses) and a modest 125 PSI compressor will serve you very well for everything but removing earth mover wheels. The laws of physics will work for you if you let them.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

from rcm, inneresting point below. most of the thread debated oil vs oil-less in painting apps. Apropos of the thread some time ago on cost of air.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®