Bye Bye to Home Shops

Interesting followup on the topic of HOA's and how they may affect
home shops. Its going to get intresting for people who specifically
purchased property that is HOA free. We have a situation where
an increasing number of municipalities are forcing HOA's upon
citizens. How will they accomadate thier citizens that want nothing to
do with a HOA ? Building a shed or work shop in your back yard
is going to be a problem, even existing structures can be in jepordey
if a HOA is formed.
GREENWOOD, Ind. -- Greenwood's city council is considering an ordinance that
would require homeowners to get approval from their neighborhood association
before obtaining a city permit for home additions.
Some older neighborhoods in Greenwood don't have such associations, so city
officials will urge those neighborhoods to create them, Morriston reported.

Best Regards
Tom.
Reply to
azotic
You say "an increasing number of municipalities are forcing HOA's.." but the example you cite is another place studying the idea.
This idea is completely unconstitutional and is going to be illegal as soon as the first idiots try to pass it.
I don't think it's worth worrying about.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
City officials will urge those neighborhoods to create them goes way beyond a study or idea. It means the mechanism to do so already exists.
Every state in the union has laws permiting the formation of CIC's and or HOA's. Nothing in the US constitution prohibits thier formation.
Best Regards Tom.
Reply to
azotic
Only buy a house outside city limits ;)
nick hull
I agree with Grant. Think about it. An HOA is formed to set neighborhood guidelines. Who is going to enforce them? The city? Not going to happen. I was a trustee in a HOA and we could only enforce what the city had as (laws). Something as simple as having the grass cut to 12" was unenforceable. We had individuals openly defy the HOA and we were faced with suing them or backing off. In every case we backed off because we didn't have financial resources for lengthy legal action. This is a "the sky is falling" non issue. If your city has zoning laws, well they have the force of law. -Mike
Reply to
mlcorson
My municipality doesn't even require permits as I'm outside city limits. Interesting when you stop in at the building dept. to see about an electrical permit for a service upgrade and they tell you that you don't need one. Expect it will be a while before it's an issue here, perhaps after my birth certificate expires at which point I won't care.
Reply to
Pete C.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:06:59 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Grant Erwin quickly quoth:
That's what "they" want you to think, Grant. I'm probably not alone in thinking that it's time to discipline government (from HOA to city, county, state, and federal), spank them when they do wrong, and put them back in line, as servants to the public, not our rulers.
--snip-- When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent; I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent; I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists, I did not speak out; I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for the Jews, I remained silent; I wasn't a Jew.
When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out. --Pastor Martin Neimoller --snip--
and by inference:
--snip-- "When they took away the Fourth Amendment, I said nothing. I didn't deal in drugs. When they took away the Sixth Amendment, I said nothing. I was innocent. When they took away the Second Amendment, I said nothing. I didn't own a gun. Now they've taken away the First Amendment, and I can say nothing." --author unknown --snip--
Reply to
Larry Jaques
cities love to annex more land to increase the tax base
Reply to
charlie