Making a 220v extension cord for my welder

Hi All, Need your input on the extension cord that I made for my welder (Lincoln squarewave 175). I did my reseearch on this site and here's what I did. I made it out of 10-3 wire (rated for 600 volts) - extension cord is 100 feet. The male plug is 220v 30amps and made so that it will plug into my clothes dryer outlet. The female receptacle is 220v 30amp outlet receptacle (receptacle with a rectangle metal box). Does this sound right to you? Is there a higher chance of getting shocked because my female end is made of metal (male plug housing is plastic/rubber). Thanks for your advice! Tom

Reply to
Tom

The metal box is fine if grounded and all is connected properly, but at

100' you should have derated the wire (used a bigger size). Also did you use romex or SO?

John

Reply to
John Ray

Hi JohnThe wire is rated for 600v - I think it is SO (definitely not romex). Thanks for your advice. Tom

Reply to
Tom