Subject Author Posted Replies

Welding and fabricating plastic cheaply or free
Remember the "cheaply or free" part before replying. I have a vinyl gutter and need to somehow bring the downspout down at an angle other than is possible with the store bought product. Its going to...
4
4

range day
"The Kid" came out today to help with my new toy, a .308 semi auto rifle. DPMS LR308 for those that know their rifle models. He brought his Glock 9MM and I also got the Mini-14 (.223 semi auto) out...
58
58

plans for novelty items/gifts?
I've been asked to build an item(s) for the Christmas party. They have a raffle and also give prizes for games, etc. A coin bank was suggested. Does anyone have a link to plans for unique items that...
23
23

Wood Splitting
Hi all, Came across this wood splitting video... the guy has a clever way of keeping things contained with a Bungee cord and little length of rope: Sorry if this is common knowledge... I have almost...
14
14

Tapping with an MT3 drill press
I have an MT3 drill press with variable speed pulley system, running on a VFD. (it is already wired and runs, but wiring is not finished). It has a 1140 RPM, 1 HP 3 phase motor. The original speed...

'Tinkering Makes Comeback' article in WSJ
An interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal -- The WSJ link and a link to a copy of it follow. (MakerBot, mentioned near the end of the article, has an inexpensive 3D printer kit like at )...
3
3

Grinding Tip
To All: Here's a short video from Cutting Tool Engineering Magazine with a surface finish grinding tip for those shops doing grinding work.
2
2

Operation Grand Slam
When the news of tungsten "salted" gold bars in Hong Kong first surfaced, many people who I am acquainted with automatically assumed that these bars were manufactured in China - because China is...
9
9

OT: Day at the Range
Today, I worked the sight in range today at my gun club. As always, I had a fine time. I witnessed various levels of expertise and saw at least one broken gun. Rem 742 go figure. I asked most of the...
7
7

Circular Interpolation
Now I need to figure out how to do circular interpolation on the YZ plane instead of the XY plane in Mach 3. G2 G3 & G12 G13 are interesting and each have their uses, but none of the documentation I...
8
8

Putty Working
I've been looking for a fast machining durable material for mold making. Sand/media lost wax isn't going to cut it, and plaster of paris will break to easily. I was thinking maybe make cakes of Bondo...
8
8

Bladder with a valve like for medical purposes
I would like to find a bladder with some hose and a valve, like they had in old time for medical purposes. It should be oil or coolant resistant, ideally, and hold at least a quart or liquid. Would...
2
2

Mandelbrot 3D
[ The original Mandelbrot is an amazing object that has captured the public's imagination for 30 years with its cascading patterns and hypnotically colourful detail. What we have featured in this...
15
15

Al Gore on Conan
OwlGore's doing the talk show circuits to shill his latest book. During his interview with Conan, less than an hour ago, these exact words came straight from the horse's ass^H^H^H mouth: Two...
64
64

A son stops by (on topic!)
Son Kevin came by tonight. He wanted to try his hand at welding. I think his sister Karen shamed him into it. He's never had any interest but Karen has done a couple of welding projects with me in the...
2
2