Plans for hit-or-miss engine?

OK, I've got a hankering for a hit-or-miss engine, and have been going to auctions long enough to know that I'm just plain not gonna be able to buy one. Does anyone have a source of plans for these, preferably something I can get/order online? I don't mind paying for quality plans. Direct email responses are just fine if you prefer.

It seems like a project that I'm probably ready for given my abilities and tooling, and the end product would be cool. So I think it meets any reasonable criteria for a summer project.

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave, if you go ahead with this very worthwhile project, make pictures as you go along, I would love to watch its progress. I will be very envious! (in a good way)

Ignoramus12500

IIRC, in one of the last Model Engine Builders was a plan of a hit and miss. No castings required.

It's best if you subscribe to the magazine. :-))

You can have a look at the table of contents there.

I'm almost finished with the V-twin of the current issue (albeit the plans will be completed in the next one, but I constructed the rest).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

there's a company called "Dinky Deere" that makes castings and plans for hit'n'miss engines. I only found this link on a quick search

There's a whole lot of folks that have done what you're interested in. Spend a couple hours a day surfing the web and you'll find a bunch of stuff.

I bought a complete set of "Strictly IC" magazine. Its out of print, but you still may be able to do this. Its chalk full of plans and projects like this.

When I retire (sell the farm), I plan to fish 1/2 day and build engines 1/2 day. Shouldn't take more than 25 years to build all the interesting engines out there.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Ah, looks nice, thanks. Having trouble finding their site but I have a phone number now.

Heh...I see what you mean. Something intriguing about these little beasties.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oh, and here is a picture of my engine (shot taken a week ago):

Things missing on that picture but already finished: carb, gear for camshaft, camshaft, rockers, rocker perch. The spark plug in the picture is a wrong one, they will be much smaller.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Lindsay books.com. has several. I've built the 2 by Vince Gingery, and built

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

Hey Nick - I'd love to hear your comments on the plans. I drew them for the magazine but didn't get a chance to build an engine from my plans prior to publication so I'm wondering if you've run into any mistakes or omissions. I'd love to make corrections to anything you've found to be problematic. I haven't heard any complaints via the magazine publisher - not sure if that's a sign that everything is OK or a sign that no one has gotten far building it yet.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Id love a set of prints as well. Crom knows Ive got the tools..if not the ability....sigh

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:17:46 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote: "Gas Engine Construction", by Henry V.A. Parsell, Jr. and Arthur J. Weed. Originally published in 1900, reprinted by Linsay Publications. ISBN

0917914465. The original was to make a 4/10 horsepower hobbyist engine for real-live use. The book has you make a bunch of castings, and steps you through making the patterns. I think you could do it with castings, or you could adapt the process to use bar stock. For that matter, with the book in print maybe someone is making the castings?

At any rate, it all looks like easy lathe work except for the flywheel (which requires a BIG lathe) and the base, which could probably fit in the head milling machine at your local automotive machine shop, if you didn't want to try filing it down by hand.

Powell's has 2 in stock right now, you could buy one with this link:

Tim Wescott

Nice work!

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Last summer I built a Red Wing Motor hit & miss engine from a casting kit. I runs great. Go to

for all the info. You can call Richard anytime and he will talk as long as you want to. Great guy, a one man show.

Reply to
Ralph Henrichs

This site is dedicated to model airplane engines, but the guy has lots of stuff that should apply to just about anything.

One encouraging thing about the site is that he nearly always shows a posed shot of all the parts made -- the three crankshafts with pins not quite the right size, the piston with the bypass relief on the wrong side, the venturi that twisted out of the chuck -- you get the idea. Looking at those pictures makes me think "hey, maybe after four tries _I_ could make a crankshaft & get it right!"

Reply to
Tim Wescott

We went to what was billed as the world's largest flea market at Round Top, Texas. They had a hit or miss engine there that was made in the very early

1900's. IIRC, it had something to do with processing corn. The sound is what drew my attention, and then, standing there, looking at this exquisitely simple machine, and trying to figure out just how it worked.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This seems reasonable. I wonder if they used a 'windvane' governor as seen on small Briggs style engines.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Siggy, your plans are of very high quality. A joy reading them, you know your trade! But you know that too.

For the V-twin, I have redrawn them for me in metric (you know ...). Also, the plan set would be completed in the next issue, but I couldn't wait 'till then. That engine was too nice to wait.

I don't remember that sizes were missing.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Nice book, but the engine is hard to build without castings.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

There have been such products in past Home Shop Machinist. Try to find a multi-year index for it. Also, there were several books published by the same publisher, compilations of articles in book form, and it seems to me one of those books had such a project.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I keep reading it trying to decide if it could be done with bar stock. The head, the rod ends, even the flywheel could all be fabricated from scrap. The valve bodies would be difficult, but even there I suspect it could be done.

One could always try to find a casting shop willing to do the work, or a guy with a backyard foundry.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yes, those were the problematic regions AFAIR. Making them out of the solid was too much work for me at the time I thought about it. But maybe I should reread the book...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller