Dividing Head v Rotary Table question

Threaded View
I've got a very study Richmond 5" dividing head that I've converted to
run on the very useful Divisionmaster (designed by Tony Jeffree, sold
by Lester Caine). A 5" dividing head is a hefty lump and the problem
that I've encountered is that if I use the dividing head with a
tailstock to support longer jobs there's very little milling table
left for the workpiece.

I was contemplating converting my 6" rotary table to a stepper drive
and using that as the dividing head with a suitable tailstock. This
will free up about 12" of milling table. If I replaced the dividing
head entirely with a converted rotary table are there any downsides?

Thanks

Charles

Re: Dividing Head v Rotary Table question

sold

The answer is obvious Charles - get a bigger milling machine. Simples
!!!!

AWEM

Re: Dividing Head v Rotary Table question

Buy a little dividing head, by the time you have set the rot table up
as a dividing head, cobbled up a tailstock you will be in the same
mess you are now. Or as has been said, buy a bigger mill.

Peter

Re: Dividing Head v Rotary Table question

oNLY THE FACT THAT YOU CAN'T TILT AND ARE ALWAYS WORKING PARALLEL TO
THE BED.
Another disadvantage is that caps lock often gets stuck.

John S.

Re: Dividing Head v Rotary Table question

Since it's a Maho with a universal table then there's no disadvantage.

A bigger mill is not what I want or need!

Thanks

Charles

Re: Dividing Head v Rotary Table question

Once you have the DivisionMaster you don't need a dividing head. So I don't see
any downside ... only the upside of not miss counting rotations on the dividing
plate. And converting the rotary table is relatively easy ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

I've had trouble with cutter clearance when cutting lengthwise splines
on a shaft with an upright rotary table.

jsw

Site Timeline