Melting mild steel in a furnace

I'm not sure how many backyard foundry's go in for attempting to melt mild (low carbon) steel.

Not actually sure I would need one that can melt mild steel - but I've been looking anyhow at furnaces you can buy, but I cannot see any brand that will melt mild steel.

What do folks generally do, home-make the furnace for mild steel?

Reply to
Richard

Look at Thermit Welding.

They will - or once would - supply a mix of aluminium powder and iron oxide with additives to produce any grade of steel.

ou don't need a furnace, just a crucible, reservoir, colour card to match the red heat prior to tapping, and of course a mould to pour into. Suggest a split wooden box and Petrobond sand.

Reply to
Macabre of Auchterloonie