how to work with vacuform canopies??

never worked with vacuform. just ordered the Modelcraft repop of the Revell 1/32 Mosquito and it comes with vacuform clear parts. What do I need to do to do it right?

thx - Craig

Reply to
blakeec

You need a *new* sharp knife blade, a steady hand and patience. Don't try to cut the parts out all at once. Score the blade around the base of the part gently several times to start the cutout; Cut from the part out to the edge of the sheet in several places around the part so you have several flaps attached to the part. Place your cuts at natural corners to minimise the stress from the next step; Carefully bend the lose flaps down away from the part to snap off the excess plastic. If it doesn't snap right away, score gently a few more times and try again; Using a fresh sanding stick, slowly and carefully sand along the edges (not across!) of the part to clean up any leftover burrs and scraps. Be careful not to crush the part as you're cleaning it up. Nothing is more frustrating : )

Reply to
Jeff C

Well, this is interesting! I have seen that re-pop of the Revell 1/32 Beaufighter with the vac-u-formed extras but I have never seen the Mosquito kit that way. Is this a new release or something that was done some time ago?? Does it have any other extras in it?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

To that end you can fill the canopy with modeling clay to support it and give you a firmer subject to work with. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Now the next question is, what is the best way to attach the canopy?

Mike

Keeper wrote:

Reply to
MQM107