Braid sleeving for a screened spark lead

Hi folks,

I was thinking about how to make use of my screened Wico Series "A" magneto this weekend. Initially I had assumed that engines intended for use with a screened magneto had an extra screw thread in the cylinder head around the spark plug. But I was interested to discover today that the extra thread is actually on the spark plug, and that 18 mm screened plugs are still available.

So I can theoretically use the magneto on my lawnmower with a screened spark lead, because I can get a suitable spark plug. But the spark lead currently attached to the magneto isn't long enough. Does anyone know where I can buy the braid sleeving used to cover the spark lead? It needs to have a bore just a little greater than 7 mm (I think the lead I have also has some kind of waxy paper around the rubber insulation). I think the braid is made from tinned copper, but it could be stainless steel. Anyone got a piece to spare, or know of a source? I need a 2 foot length. The only source I can find so far is Farnell, who want to sell me a 10 metre roll.

If not I might take up Kim's offer of a magneto swap.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

How about stripping off the armoured sleeve from a couple of feet of the kind of cable that is intended to be buried. I know I've seen it, can't think where.

Otherwise, I'll go & find the magneto Chris!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

SWA armoured cable has strands of steel that are laid side by side, the kind of braid that Chris needs is tinned copper braid and can be found on things like Co-ax cable and the like.

There was a sheaf of plain copper braids that we saw at Enstone, and I was going back for another look after I gave you the BSA gasket, but Rita said that she saw a guy walking down the stalls with the whole lot over his shoulder!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

eBay - spares for aircraft stuff, or mil-surplus (army) B-series engine spares from Ferrets, Saracens etc. There's plenty of old bits screened HT lead about from radio-fitted vehicles of this era, spark plugs too.

Otherwise find old computer cable (big fat 1980s stuff, like parallel printer cables) and dismantle it to extract the tinned copper braid. This is a braid, not just a twisted lay (like steel armoured cable) so it doesn't fall apart.

Another approach, for magnetos, would be to go to an electrical wholesaler like TLC and buy a metre or two of "Hi-Tuf". This is a mains cable with an overall braid, then a clear PVC jacket over that. Great stuff for dropleads to machines in the workshop, as it's tougher than normal flex cable, bendier than armoured or spiral conduit and affordable. It's not intended for HT use, but I'm sure modern insulations would cope fine with with most magneto or non-electronic coil systems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Or rather not Hi-Tuf, but Multi-Flex

Andy Dingley

The armour is actually thick steel wire. Too heavy for this application, and also too large a diameter.

I'm weighing up my options. I'll send you an e-mail if I decide I'm keen to do a swap.

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I had a look on eBay, but can't see anything at the moment. Also asked on the Humber Pig mailing list, but haven't had any responses so far.

I'll have a look in my box of computer leads tomorrow.

I think I have odd length of that flex, but the diameter is too large. It's heavy stuff that used to supply power to a static caravan.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I guess it's possible I might be able to remove the braid from that flex and use the braid to cover a spark lead. But I think I'll wait a little longer to see if I find any genuine braid first.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Scott McAfee

How about pink?

otherwise

Andy Dingley

We bought some new screened ignition leads from Philip Gallimore a while back, and apart from changing the magneto end retaining nut, they were able to be modified to fit the PU8 nicely. The magneto end had about 6" of unscreened cable with a terminal at the end, so possibly a special arrangement? They were MOD and listed as petter 15" leads.

Our Son, Philip, got both leads sorted in less than an hours work, we now have another runner and hope to take it to Nuenen at the end of the month. A genuine carrying frame was donated to the cause this last week, so that will be the configuration for that one.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Petrol cheap in Holland then Peter? ;o))

I got through a gallon in an hour in a PU8 unloaded at a fast tickover. When it stopped, I looked everywhere else than in the tank!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Well, they do have twin tanks! or at least the 110V genny does, I think the stand-alone engines only have single tanks.

Might be able to sell one over there, the Dutch don't get a lot of older and smaller British stuff by all accounts.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes