Elderly Ruston spotted

I spotted a derelict Ruston with a bore of around 8" on the Isle of Wight last month, photos of which I have put on Flickr

Apparently the engine and its adjacent pump, which are just a few yards from the sea on a private estate, was installed in the late 20s/early 30s to pump seawater up to a swimming pool which is about 200 yards away and about

60-feet above sea level. You'll see from the photos that it is derelict and that some kind soul appears to have attacked the barrel which now has a sizeable hole through which the piston crown can be seen. Notwithstanding its sad state it is nevertheless a magnificent addition to the landscape!

Christopher W.

Reply to
Christopher Wigdor

"Christopher Wigdor" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

What a terrible waste and how sad to see it in that state. I hope that someone will be able to buy it and restore it. I well remember these often being used to drive DC generators in some cinemas mant years ago, the old Gaumont at Gainsborough, Lincs had one as standby while the regular one was similar in appearance but ran from the town gas main, I believe it was a Crossley and you cold hear it thumping away in the backround from the front seats inside. It ran the carbon arcs for projection, the sound amplifiers and the house lights. Mike, Lincoln.

Reply to
Mike the Brewer

Reply to
Scott McAfee