advice changed from DC tig to AC/DC tig

just a few pointers if you would humour me Have brought a AC/DC pulsed tig

What effect does ac frequency have adjustable between 20 and 100 hz where should I start and what would the suggested pulse rate be for 2mm alu

this is all for practice at current time just want somewhere to start and then improve all normal safety measures in place I normally use mig for alu but I like the politeness of tig

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

AC frequency affects the focus of the arc. The higher the frequency, the more an AC arc behaves like a DC arc. So maxing out the frequency would make inside corner welds much easier, since the AC arc would no longer bounce back and forth between the pieces, but would instead focus into a narrow arc down the middle.

Increasing the frequency does slightly reduce the heat input per amp, so you will get more heat per amp at lower frequencies than high frequencies, but the heat will be more focused into the middle so it should more than cancel out that effect.

Running a very high AC frequency also reduces the heat affecting the tungsten, so you can grind the tungsten to a point for AC and get even more focus.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks an explanation I can understand

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

Me too, a great explanation, I am starting to print off Ernies posts, they are a Godsend to a newbie like me.

Reply to
Chris

I am currently teaching at the Divers Institute. I agreed to go back this spring to teaching evenings at South Seattle. As to how long I stay at South Seattle, that is still in the air.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler