SEJW: closure weld on end of 1/16" dia SS tube

I would like to make a small number of sleeved thermocouple probes. The sleeves will be made from 1/16" dia type 304 tube stock.

One end of each sleeve will be open (the wire leads will exit here). The other end will have a closure weld, preferably bonding the SS sleeve and thermocouple wires together in one bead.

My question is: how to make the hemispherical closure weld on the sealed end of the sleeve?

Is there a compact oxy-MAPP (or similar) setup that would do the job?

I have a small capacitive discharge welder, but have not had any success making this particular weld with it.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
JimG

One idea is to take the tube and close it off, into the shape needed. Then drop a pill or ball of silver solder and with the two wires already welded - discharge welder is good - then slide down the tube and heat the tip and have it attached. Then fill the end with the wire with a self hardening ceramic. Martin

Mart> I would like to make a small number of sleeved thermocouple probes.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

How about a tiny SS ball and silver solder.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Silver solder is a good idea that I had not considered (with, or without the steel ball). And I've probably already got all the equipment and material needed. Worth a try.

These probes will be in contact with hot water on its way to a coffee cup. So I'll need to do some checking to make sure there is no bad stuff in the flux or solder.

I'll look into this, but am still open to other ideas.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
JimG

Think copper water line. Whatever is approved for that should be safe for your coffee maker.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Some silver solder has cadmium in it, I would stay away from them. Anything in a store probably does not have any cadmium, but you are likely to find it in SS on Ebay.

I would buy some stainless MIG wire that will just slide inside your tubing. And just cut off bits less than 1/4 inch long to close the end of the tube. You ought to be able to find some that will fit. Depending on what diameter you need, you could probably beg a foot or so from someone here. I have some, just don't remember the size right now.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster