Welder, Voltage output.

Hi Guys, As a curiosity I measured the voltage on the leads of a tombstone welder, it's an old Craftsman. I measured about 0.24v to 0.35v depending on the current setting. This was with no current flow. I thought it would be higher! Am I missing something? Does the voltage increase with current flow? (I don't see how.) Just wondering.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Just figured it out, it's AC not DC. I'll try again. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It should read what the OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) is which will depend on your welder specification. Mine is 50V or 80V depending on whether low or high voltage range setting is selected, it's not a tombstone but an old UK made Pickhill oil cooled welder.

Reply to
David Billington

Over on Rec.Crafts.Metalworking there is a recent post about welding with 6010. Worth reading.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster