12 Rubber Bands?

Ahhhh...the good ole days...my first build was an Eagle 63...

Reply to
Peavey_HP_Signature_Guy

How long did it take you to destroy it? The Eagle 63 was definitely designed to fly, not crash. Mine was done in after a couple of years when my brother in law hand launched it over a small asphalt driveway. The wires had corroded, the radio turned off, and it went 360 degrees in a small radius turn at full throttle, ending in a spectacular crash. I don't think there was a piece left that was bigger than my hand.

That plane flew beautifully, though. I think that's where I learned not to put a lot of extra reinforcements and unnecessary pieces on a plane.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

"The Raven" wrote

You really need to quantify your expression of what a trainer is. There are

2 pound trainers, and there are 12 pound trainers.
Reply to
Morgans

A valid point, albeit it most practical trainers I see are generally in the sub-61 inch wingspan weighing in at little more than 2.5Kg (about 6lb). The Classic and Boomerang are what I'd consider normal trainer material for a beginner.

There are many larger 'trainer' class aircraft out there but these aren't generally aimed at first time flyers (or probably shouldn't be). I know our club would be concerned with someone showing up with a large/heavy trainer. Learning to fly carries a risk of crashing the plane, starting with something big increases the risk of someone/something getting hurt if the worst happens.

Reply to
The Raven

A LONG time ago, when I was just a raw newbie here, I was told that there was a pretty good "rule of thumb" which worked out pretty well when we were talking about #64 bands, and the planes that used them.

when all is said and done, use 2 bands per pound of plane (all-up weight), running straight fore and aft. add 2 to 4 bands crossed to help retain the straight ones. I have flown a fair number of planes using that rule, I have never lost a wing in flight or had one shift,

I HAVE been laughed at for using so many bands.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

"Bob Cowell" wrote

Sounds about right.