30" Antique Kroehler Propeller Model 44D10908

I have some. More than fifty years old and not used. First one went on auction this evening.

KROEHLER 30" Antique Airplane Propeller Model 44D10908

Two more just like it will be auctioned in the following two weeks. Three propellers in three weeks.

Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

It's a target drone propeller. Not much use for it other than a novelty to hang on the wall

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Thanks for identifying it. That's good to know.

Apparently there is some demand for them. First one sold. My second one went on the auction block today:

KROEHLER 30" Antique Airplane Propeller model 44D10908

.

Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

As I recall, lots of 'em had clocks put in and then hung on the wall. Also, weren't a lot of them for CW rotation engines?

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Good call Lyman. Exactly, a lot of the drone engines were CW configuration. Some were pushers, allowing the use of a CCW prop facing forward to be used. Yep...I used to have one with a clock in it!!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

The prop number implies that it was a 44" prop to start with. I used to own one of those McCulloch drone engines, 72 HP, and it originally had driven a prop of about 44". The engine had been modified, by lowering the compression, to drive a 60" prop at about

3000 RPM, giving around 50 HP. The engine had been originally designed to run at 4100 RPM. It was also designed to have a service life of around 15 minutes! No wonder that some of the guys who used them in homebuilts and gyrocopters had failures. The mag and carb were especially weak.

See

for info about the O-100 engine.

Here are a couple of pages about the target drones:

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Arrrgh! Messed up the target drone URLs. Try these:

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Very interesting stuff...especially about Marilyn Monroe! Cool!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Yes, I've seen a few of them on ebay with clocks. I don't know what people are doing with these, but they seem to want them! I was thinking perhaps a hover craft project or an air boat might be some of the unusual applications folks might be using these for. I've never asked anyone. At any rate, two of them sold and I have only one left. Last one!

-- Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION ? FILM SCANNING ? DVD MASTERING ? AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at:

sites at:

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss