4 stroke cuts at end of outside loop

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Strewth, how old are you?

Reply to
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)

what a difference a "," makes When I used to run a Saito 91, years ago

still I cant mock Im one of the worst offenders

Reply to
Kevin

:o) All just a harmless chuckle.

Reply to
Dave (Sgt. Pepper)

That was pretty funny. I didn't notice the ambiguity until you guys pointed it out.

I used to run the Saito 91 on a Big John Biplane, about ten years ago. The only reason I mentioned that it was years ago is because I didn't think I would be able to answer a bunch of detailed questions.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

"What cahhenl are you on? I am on 40" "Oh, I am on 40, too" "Oh that's OK then!"

CRASH!

"You said you were on 42...!"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Carb icing does not happen often in model engines but you do need to be aware of it for it will drive you crazy some day. Two strokes do not seem to have it at all but four strokes do because the carb is mounted further from the engine on them.

We had a fellow one day with a Saito 80 and he would take off and after about 2 minutes into the flight his engine would abruptly quit and would happen every time. By the condensation on the outside of the carb we expected carb ice. The day before and the day after, the engine ran fine. You can't see the ice in the carb because by the time you get to observe it, it will have melted.

Carb ice is formed when the temperature in the venturi goes below 32F and moisture is condensed by the temperature dropping to the dew point of the air. This happens most between 40F and 70F because it is between these two extremes that the pressure drop in the venturi can cause the temperature to go below freezing and there is enough moisture to squeeze out of the air.

In small man carrying planes a Lycoming engine is less prone to carb ice as the carb is mounted on the botton of the oil pan. Continentals on the other had have the carb mounted on a spider by two studs to the bottom of the engine. You had better keep the carb heat on it.

Reply to
IFLYJ3

As I have not seen this on a model just curious does ice form inside as well as outside?

Reply to
Kevin

> I have a 120 4 stroke mounted inverted in a Cyclone 3D

Barry ===== Home page

Barry OGrady

The fact that you are also vaporising alcohol does not help either.

A spray bar spraying alcohol is a fairly effective refrigerator.

As anyone who has spilt fuel on their hands on a cool day knows.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its only inside where it makes a difference.

By restricting air flow, or fuel flow, or both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good news.

Went up the flying field today with my buddies. A few minutes fiddling with the low end needle (was too lean) and a small tweak of the main needle, the engine runs well. The throttle response is a bit non linear, but it can probably be improved by improving the throttle arm/push rod geometry and a throttle curve in the Tx.

No icing or elephants were noticed in the carb !

Reply to
fred

YAY! mk

Reply to