50 size 4-Stroke Engines

We are your opinions of the following 4-stroke engines?

TT .54

Magnum .52

OS .52

Saito .56

I'm trying to deside which one to get for an upcoming project.

Thanks,

Reply to
Doug Dorton

Doug,

I have a Saito .56 and a Magnum .52. I also have an O.S., but in .70, not .52. The Saito was my first four-cycle engine and it started a love affair. :-) It is light, strong and reliable. The Magnum was the opposite. If I had bought it first, I might not have bought another 4-C for a long time. It was sent back, replaced, and the replacement needed to be sent back. Other people swear by them, but I doubt I'll buy another one. I have three Saitos and an O.S. that all run beautifully.

My pick would be the Saito .56.

Good luck with whatever engine you choose, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

I have had the magnum 91 FS and it had its share of problems, ran good when it held together.

I own 4 Saito's 91 up to 180 and they definately make a quality product, light strong and run reliably.. I alway have an "eye" on a good deal on a Saito..

Reply to
Dell Shannon

I run Saito's hard, very hard and like the results.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Why are you not including the ever reliable Enya .53 in your options? It's a wonderful engine.

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Agreed, it's a fine running engine as are most Enyas, but there is that darn glow plug sticking out the front on their 4 strokes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have an OS .52 that used to be on a WM T-34. Great running engine. My father has a Magnum .52 on a Blue Max. Another great running engine. The Magnum can usually be had much cheaper than the OS thru Hobby People's frequent sales.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

But, Mike, that's why they supply a glow plug extension with the engine! Another interesting feature: If you ever want to fly backwards, you can reverse the cams and make it run in the "wrong" direction! ;-)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Geoff, Don't forget the pushrod tubes are also protected by the cylinder, in the event of a crash.

I kidded about the glow plug being in front because a fellow club member was always asked if he needed to borrow a ni-starter whenever he came to the field with his Enya 4 stroke.

Around here, to fly backward, we simply put the engine on the tail and call it a canard.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The TT is very heavy for its size.

The Magnum weighs same as OS, but is MUCH cheaper. I'm flying one now in a 40 Cub.

You might give consideration to the Magnum 61 - it's $20 more than the

52, but weighs LESS and has more power. I'm flying 2 of the 61's right now - love 'em.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

well as you can see, you will get a wide variety of opinions and experiences, you will just have to make a choice, and if you hold your toungue just right, and follow proper break in procedures for a four stroke, you will be happy with your decision.

Let us know what you decide.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

Weight of motors is very subjective, Some manufacturers, e.g. TT include a choke assembly (OS used to but that is now an optional extra, as is the tool kit -[ removal of these items from the standard box makes the OS motor look more appealing as do the ridiculous OS rev and power claims that no one has ever been able to match in any tests]. TT is actually a .54 with much more proven power, performance and reliability than the OS .52. If a kit recommends a .48 - .54 then a .61 is generally well over the power band for the airframe and does not necessarily fly as well. Balloons on slight power increases, grounds prop on take off. shakes airframes to pieces etc.

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Links

A.T.