Airbreakes

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get information and design of glider airbreakes.

Thx

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lawrence

Are those like the windbreaks people have picnics behind on the beach?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A glider, or any other plane, shouldn't break apart in the air. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Hello, Mike,

I am building a sailplane myself, and am concerned about the possibility of loosing my plane because of thermal runaway, so yesterday I began digging up information by doing google advanced newsgroup searches for this group, and also for rec.models.rc.soaring, using the term "spoilers". I'm still researching this subject, but here is what I have come up with so far:

Since my plane has a polyhedral wing, I will install the spoilers just inside of the polyhedral angle, but not too far inboard, so as to not create too much turbulence which would affect the control surfaces. The spoilers will be installed just behind the spar. There seems to be two types, the ones which stick straight up, and the ones which angle up. The ones which angle up seem to be easier to implement, so that is what I plan on using. With the angle up type, getting them to lie flat when not in use seems to be the biggest problem. Some people solve this problem by using sub micro servos in the wing, one or two for each wing. I plan on using one standard size servo in the fuselage, and then to run a flexible wire through some tubing to each spoiler. There are aftermarket spoilers which a person can purchase and install, although it seems that once a person understands the basic idea, it seems that a lot of fellows just build their own, and this is what I plan to do. It will be necessary for me to carve a little off of the top of each wing, again, just in back of the spar. Of course, I want to maintain the original wing profile, insofar as that will be possible. I tried to leave a link here, but it turned out to be about ten lines long, so it would not have worked anyway. Good luck.

Michael

Reply to
MichaelMandavil