Aircraft forward/aft balance

Without going out and buying one of those balance devices is there a simple inexpensive way of verify proper airplane balance? I was just going to flip it over and place wing lead edge on raised surface to find balance point. Any other suggestions? Thanks ahead of time...

Reply to
Newbee

I always balance the 'plane using just my fingers too - your method is fine!

Reply to
Malcolm Messiter

There are also instructions and plans (diagrams) for building one. I've posted the .pdf file at

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 District V

Reply to
Red Scholefield

"Vanessa" Jim Archer's sling and plumb bob method as shown on Fred's page is excellent, especially for large models, but to calculate CG and MAC, positions etc refer to = Calculators, Conversion, C of G, MAC, Servo Torque calculation charts (Flight trim see above) at

if the following do not appear as direct links on your screen = Conversion & Calculation tables etc CG & MAC - Graphic CG - Canards - site down email Alan for a copy. CG & MAC calculator = PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff CG Sling & Balance beam "Vanessa" Zip file - email Alan for a copy. CG Sling Convert - free download - convert units from one type to another **** Design Calc - from Van's Place (site down - email Alan for a copy.) Entisoft Units -- Measurement Conversion Calculator -- Performance Slide Rule Calculator - Servo torque, Horsepower, Stall Speed etc. R/C Aircraft Proving Grounds - CG, MAC, Servo & Basic Model Calculators RC Calculators - C.Gadd. [Servo Torque, Wing Loading, Glow to Electric etc.]

Reply to
A.T.

Use your finger tips under the wing to find the balance point. Most sport planes are designed to balance very hear the spar on built-up wings.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Balance on your fingers. The nicest rubbery support around. Starting balance point at 25% of mean chord. Then let flicht characteristics guide you through the process of fine tuning to your specific wishes. There are many good trimming articles on the network.

Reply to
Pé Reivers

Put your fingertips next to the fuselage. NOT out at the wing tips!

Reply to
jeboba