An Ugly (but working) Solution

After taking some time off to experience intense back pain I took the Laird Solution out flying today. I blocked off the notch where the canopy isn't, and added about 25% more area to the vertical stabilizer (this is on a plane that _was_ a nice pretty black & yellow of the original -- now it's black, yellow and foamy white).

It flys! I was right that it didn't have enough vertical stabilizer -- now it's a bit of a handful, but it does pretty much what it's supposed to instead of flopping around the sky for a bit before coming to earth somewhere I didn't want it to be.

Whew!

Now, do I try to make what I have look good, or do I just build another one...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I say slap some paint on it. Don't be like Mike mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

Follow up:

I knew that Bob Aberle had published a Solution article in the February '06 Flying Models magazine, so I read it last night to see if he mentioned any lateral instability. Guess what? His vertical stab & rudder are about 15% bigger than scale! Further, he mentions in the text that he tried it with the scale outline first, and it didn't fly well at all!

Well, that's validation.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

(Top posting fixed)

There's more wrong with it than just the wrong-colored stab, though -- I changed engine mounts in the middle of the project, and the fuselage doublers are pretty awkward, and the foam inter plane struts were way too wimpy and have balsa scabbed on them. Basically it's a pretty old plane, for all that it only has about 30 minutes of flight time on it.

I'm thinking I should draw up plans for what it _should_ be, then rebuild it to that spec. It'll be prettier, stronger, lighter and replica table.

But in the mean time I think I'm going to cut out a stab & rudder that are expanded by 10% all the way around, _then_ slap some paint on. And I'm going to make a clear canopy, probably after making a profile pilot figure. Then I'll fly that sucker!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Seems like you've answered your own question, and are now seeking ratification. I'd do it!

Simply ignore the wifes car that doesn't run well, kids need shoes for school, and you're two months late getting the cat spayed... d:->))

Reply to
CRaSH

Could be.

The last three models I built (not counting the ARF) I've done with no plans, as a way of decompressing from engineering work. I think maybe it's time to do some planning ahead before I cut balsa...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Where's the sport >

Reply to