Anti Freeze Engine Cleaning

I have an old crock pot and a bottle of Anti Freeze. Plus about 6 or 7 gunked up engines. Whats the proper way to clean these engines using this technique?

Reply to
Watchur6

Enter "antifreeze" in Search This Group.

Reply to
aeropal

That does that mean?

Reply to
The Shaw's

What does that mean:

aeropal

Give a starving man a fish and you only postpone the inevitable. Teach the starving man to catch fish and all you've solved is the immediate problem. The next thing you have to teach the starving man is birth control.

;-)

Reply to
Crabs

Disassemble the engine.

Put the parts in the crock.

Put everything outside where there's ventilation.

Plug the crock in and turn it on high.

Leave it for six or eight hours.

Turn it off and let it cool.

Brush the parts clean. Repeat for obnoxious gunk.

Do not rely on these instructions; do not breathe the fumes; do no burn yourself; do not electrcute yourself; do not ruin your motor b not relubrcating all the parts; do not dispose of the used antifreez improperly; ask someone else if this doesn't help.

Regards

-- Ledbette

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ledbetter's Profile:

this thread:

Ledbetter

There is a much better way to clean the crud from engines. Look for aircraft finish remover or finish stripper. Spray it on, let it set for a while then wash it off, two applications if the engine is really in bad shape.

Rd S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Get some Demon Clean:

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Put the cover on the pot. You don't want to give the critters a warm lethal drink.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

I like this better:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life: and he will have no more problems to worry about, either.

** mike **
Reply to
mike

No, No - plug the exhaust and carb intake then spray on the finish stripper (Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover by mar-hyde). Let it set for 15-30 minutes then wash off. You can tell when it is ready as the crud begins to blister a bit. I found the antifreeze treatment leaves the engine a dull gray while the Tal-Strip II leaves them looking like new.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

"I found the antifreeze treatment leaves the engine a dull gray"

My experience using "ACE 88850" green colored antifreeze from the local Ace Hardware store was NO graying . . the engines come out looking like new.

Reply to
aeropal

You need to use an antifreeze with Aluguard or similar.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Make sure all the parts are submerged, do not allow enough of the antifreeze to boil away that the metal is exposed - it will then affect the finish of the parts. another option is to use the low setting and leave the parts in overnight. Do keeep a lid on the ot, it reduces the evaporation loss. Done carefully, the antifreeze method is very effective.

Ed

Ledbetter wrote:

Reply to
Ed Smega

The only time I have had the dull gray phenomenon is when I left it on high too long and a significant amount of the antifreeze evaporated away leaving some of the metal exposed, it was the exposed part that turned gray.

Ed

aer>"I found the antifreeze treatment leaves the engine a dull gray"

Reply to
Ed Smega

The Crockpot and antifreeze is a terrible thing to subject the inside of your precision engine components to. The internals of your engine aren't the same as the insides of your radiator.

What's just as stupid is to let the poor engine stew in this mess for several hours just to clean some baked on castor oil off. Only an old demented field geezer would suggest this as a solution to cleaning crud off the engine. I'd make him brush his teeth with it!

If you use a full-synthetic fuel, you escape most of the problem. Also when you come home from the field, cover the carb inlet and exhaust with some rubber cups (Tower has them), give the engine a shot of a degreaser, and rinse it off with hot water. Make sure you dry engine thoroughly (hair dryer works well).

Finally, if you can't get the crap off, spend a few cents for some Demon Clean (see my previous post).

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Just another bit of poor advice from this guy. I've had excellent results and zero bad effects from this cleaning method. I'm sure it is much safer than "a shot of degreaser".

Tom

Reply to
Tom B

I have used either Demon Clean or a similar product in the past and found it not nearly as effective as antifreeze.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega

Antifreeze is just ethylene glycol and it is effective at cleaning gunk off engines because it has a very high boiling point meaning it can get a lot hotter and melt off baked-on crud. Having cleaned a few engines this way I have never detected any pitting or other damage to the piston or liner whatsoever.

That said, just like with methanol in glow fuel, you need to be careful around ethylene glycol - injestion can cause severe poisoning, but you need to take a fairly big swig of the stuff - it does taste sweet, which is a concern if there are kids or pets around (cats seem to have a thing for it).

Reply to
Poxy