Any modelers with Muscular Dystrophy or other disabilities?

From: Jeff Nance [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@modelaircraft.org] Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 4:29 PM To: 5 - Executive Council; 6 - AMA Executive Staff; 3 - Magazine Group Subject: Know of AMA member w Muscular Dystrophy? Importance: High

Hi Everyone:

Our PR firm, JWalcher has an opportunity to place a story about the therapeutic benefits of RC flying in Quest magazine, the national magazine of the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The editor would like to interview an AMA member, who flies RC and has Muscular Dystrophy. Do you know of an AMA member it that flies and has Muscular Dystrophy that would be willing to be interviewed? Please think deeply on this one as it is a wonderful opportunity for both the AMA and those with disabilities.

In addition, we would like to know of AMA members/fliers with any disabilities for other therapeutic benefits of RC flying programs and stories we are working on.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Nance

Director of Marketing & Programs

The Academy of Model Aeronautics

5161 E. Memorial Drive

Muncie, Indiana 47302

765-287-1256 or 800-435-9262 Ext. 273

snipped-for-privacy@modelaircraft.org

From: Maya Ellman [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@jwalcher.com] Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:19 PM To: Mark Smith; Jeff Nance; Jim Cherry Cc: 'Jean Walcher' Subject: Quest Magazine Importance: High

Hi all-

I have been in touch with Quest magazine, the Muscular Dystrophy Association's national magazine - circulation 130,000, about highlighting the hobby of model flying. The editor is very interested as model flying could be a really accessible hobby for his readers; however, he has requested to speak to one or two model flyers (AMA members) with Muscular Dystrophy.

Do you know of any members with Muscular Dystrophy?

Thanks,

Maya Ellman / JWalcher Communications / 619.295.7140 /

Red Scholefield

Not sure about muscular dystrophy per se, but in RCgroups there are more than a few wheelchair flyers, and flyers with various disabilities using sometimes modified radio gear.

I had the privilege of watching a man in a wheelchair with an oxygen cylinder strapped to it flying a very respectable pattern a few weeks ago.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have two cousins with muscular dystrophy. They have a Great Planes PT-40. We had the chance to fly it once, using a buddy box for training purposes. They did pretty well and had a great time. They are not AMA members, though...

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Best regards,

- Angel

Reply to
Angel Abusleme