THis is what the AMA is.

Rather than insurance, this describes what the AMA does.

From: Wrightflight [mailto:] Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:28 AM To: Joyce Hager Subject: New Alcoa Grant

Hi Joyce: I would like you and members of the Executive Council to know that on Tuesday of this week, the AMA received a check for $100,000.00. The third grant from the Alcoa Foundation. As you know the Foundation funded an intitial $28,000 "pilot project" to triain science teachers in Cleveland to use the Inventing Flight curricum produced to celebrate the Wright Brothers centennial in 2003. Based on the success of this effort, the Foundation subsequently awarded the AMA a second grant for $128,000 to present four more workshops - a second one in Cleveland, one in Iowa and two in Indiana. This grant was recently extended to permit the Education Committee to use unexpended funds to create a DVD featuring workshop activities and lessons that the Committee intends to offer to teachers thoughout the country on our website. The new grant will permit us to offer three more workshops to science teachers here in the US, and they have requested that we offer one in Great Britain as well. This grant brings the total support from the Alcoa Foundation to more than a quarter of a million dollars - funds we are successfuly using to improve and refine activities using model airplanes as a teaching tool for middle school physical science. I met with Foundation representatives in Pittsburgh yesterday to confirm the details of the new grant. They may be interested in using our activities as part of a package their employees could leave with teachers when they visit classrooms to give career talks. None of this could have been accomplished without the strong support of Jack Frost, April Hathaway and Michael Smith who have assisted us with presentations and exhibit work at National Science Teacher Association workshops duringthe past three years. Please see that Dave Brown and the members of the Executive Council are aware of the significant outreach we are undertaking to promote the sport, hobby and educational value of model aviation. Gordon Schimmel, Ed.D. Chair, Education Committee Academy of Model Aeronautics

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Best regards. Dr.Sandy Frank snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net

2005-12-15
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

And here is another project in initial start-up. The AMA is seeking input from members. I don't know how many were notified, however I was and will pass it on. There must be many out there that have the knowledge and talent to help here.

Folks,

We need your help. In our continuing quest to grow our membership numbers, we feel there are a couple of areas which have not had attention to date, i.e., the AARP and Parents Without Partners market segments. It is extremely expensive to place ads in either magazine; however, we think an interest article about the wonderful world of model aviation could be beneficial. So here's where you come in...I was wondering if any of you, or some of your contacts, could get an article into either/both of these magazines? I would think the AARP article would focus on the technology available today (ARF or BYY) and the camaraderie of RC clubs. The Parents Without Partners article would be focused on dads who get the kids for the weekend and how this hobby lends itself to bonding (building on rainy weekends or flying on sunny weekends). Of course, both articles should conclude with statements about AMA.

If any of you could help us out, that would be great! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Joyce

Reply to
cainhd

"Six_O'Clock_High"