Any thoughts on Hasbro Power Air Surfer RC Plane?

I'm a total ignoramus with RC planes, but am considering getting a Hasbro Power Air Surfer for my 8 yr old nephew. Has anyone played with it and have any opinions?

I'm wondering if it works well and is reasonably sturdy/reliable.

Thanks,

John (remove the pachyderm)

Reply to
john

| I'm a total ignoramus with RC planes, but am considering getting a Hasbro | Power Air Surfer for my 8 yr old nephew. Has anyone played with it and have | any opinions? |

| | I'm wondering if it works well and is reasonably sturdy/reliable.

I've got one. I got it at clearance at Target about a year ago for $20.

It _barely_ flies, and when you try to turn, it tends to stall out and crash.

None of these really cheap R/C planes work very well.. Probably the cheapest you're likely to get something that flies reasonably well is about $150, unless you find something used.

And I'm not sure if an 8 year old would do good with an R/C plane anyways -- but I'm not so sure about that.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I think it was either last year or the year before, there was a 4 year old that come in the top 5 in the nates, and the rudder stood taller them him

Reply to
Robert Williams

I do not believe it for a second. My daughter is 3.5, and barely has the coordination needed to operate the remote control for the TV. (And yet she's really smart -- I imagine she'll be reading within a year.)

Googling, I see reports of 10, 12, 14 year olds doing well in the NATS, but nothing of anybody younger.

I certainly believe that some 8 year olds could fly R/C planes ok, but I'd certainly start the kid out with a car first.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Reply to
MGordo

This is starting off thread I guess...

My son's 8 and soloed this summer on a NexStar. He's been doing flight simulators ever since age 3 (with crashing enabled since about age 6).

Back on thread:

For an 8 year old without an adult seriously teaching them to fly, I would recommend a Blade Runner (go to

search for Blade Runner under toys). It flies indoors, is very stable, and is reasonably safe. If your nephew has a good attention span and is patient, he will have fun.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Francis

Was given this plane free last year after another family had flown many times. The battery is the weakest link. After multiple charges, the several that I have give you a 10 second blast and then wimper on for 3 minutes. My 7 yr old g-daughter picked it up quickly and got a real thrill flying the thing for a few seconds at a time.

Reply to
UpNup