Anyone flying the RTF Pitts electric biplane?

I have one NIB. It is such a good looking rascal that I have hesitated to fly it. However, I have reached a point where it is either fly it, or sell it.

Anyone have experience with one of these models?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I do not have one. What brand is it? I say fly it, what's the worst that can happen? mk Will it say on your gravestone " he flew TOO much?" :)

Reply to
MJKolodziej

I "think" it is made by Arc-Tech, or something similar.

Standing up is a problem for me. That's why the great reduction in flying.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Is this it?:

mk Had a good Holiday.

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Yes, that is the one that I have NIB. It was selling for $30 more when I bought it.

Ed Cregger

-------------

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Learn to fly from a chair. Several of our club members have a chair set at the flight line and nobody has ever protested or made a stink about it. If they do... tell them to stick it. Enjoy yourself. Harry

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec

We had a member who was a diabetic and lost a foot. We installed a post and a swivel bar chair for him to fly from. I have seen someone fly from a wheelchair. The short story is get busy flying Ed, it can be done easily.

I bet electrics will work better for you than wet power because of the collateral efforts, but I could be very wrong.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" >>> mk

----------

I am slowly gravitating towards electric powered models, Jim. Just for the reason you described. Don't want the wife whacking her fingers in glow engines. She used to get them going really well. She was a good modeler. Now she's a great quilt designer and even has a business selling those designs.

I've seen a video of that little biplane flying. It seems to do everything that I usually do with a model and then some.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, Good luck and hang in there.

Here is a little background and information for you. I love doing touch and goes which really works out an airframe when I am, as normal, pushing the envelope. I probably have destroyed 25 or 30 airframes from an altitude of less than 5 feet when the wings stopped flying because the engine quit and I was pulling hard next to the ground. That being said, I tend to watch out for models that will accomplish all my flying tasks including that one, which means I really don't like floaters. In October I went to the annual fly in San Angelo where the wind was blowing. You could literally hear it blowing through the wires. A few of the locals were doing touch and goes with electric birds and it really caught my attention because most electrics I have tangled with didn't have the power to ROG more than once much less deal with 20+ MPH wind.

Check out the new (to me I admit) ParkZone F4U PNP or the T-28 PNP at Horizon. Get your batteries from Hobby King (they cost just under $20 each and are 2200mAH) and go forth and fly. Of course this may not be your style, but it sure caught my attention and has made me reconsider electrics. I have one now. I am sure that the genre will continue to improve and I look forward to that with anticipation. Moved up on my 'to do' list is an electric conversion of a kit I have in the shop now.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" > glow engines. She used to get them going really well. She was a good

I wonder what kit you have in the shop? I picture all your planes as large ones. mk BTW: There is a swap meet in Hico Saturday. San Antonio is a long way from there but I know a couple of guys form there will be at the meet.

Reply to
MJKolodziej

HAH! Gottcha!

I have all sizes. My collection includes a few electric park flyers, a .15 sized TaylorCraft, more than one .19 sized birds (AT-6's and P-51's with backup kits in the attic), several .40 sized birds, a couple .60 sized and then a bunch of larger stuff.

I am looking to convert a 4 Star 120. It is light weight enough by design that it should convert well. The other candidate is a SuperSportster 40 which I have built and flown before. The issues to consider will be ESC and battery cost.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" > glow engines. She used to get them going really well. She was a good

-------------

I know what you are saying, Jim. I like just about all sizes and types of models. There is always some fun aspect to exploit about all of them.

I also agree that having a model that will not tolerate a little wind can be frustrating when that is all you have to fly.

My little Pitts looks really good, in the plastic and on the video. A video is available at Hobby Lobby, as usual.

I'll look into that Corsair. Sometimes you need a little weight for immunity from turbulence.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Hi, Ed. I won't be selling this one unless something drastic happens. This is probably what I'll end up flying (this type) for a while to come.

What have you been up to in modeling?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I have one and it flys very well. A little touchy but generally well behaved.

Reply to
Russie