anyone tried a rubber duck antenna?

Anyone with some experience with this type of rc tx antenna? Did using this antenna reduce the range somehow? Any problems with the antenna not getting a proper connection via the BNC connector?

In short, have you been happy with your new antenna?

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

I forgot one thing: Is this rubber duck antenna much heavier than the usual telescope one, the original? Did the balance of the tx alter significantly?

Reply to
Ken Mattsson

Ken, though I have never owned a rubber ducky antena, I have flown aircraft who`s owner had them installed on their transmitter, and have seen other guys run them without a problem. There is no range problem with them that I have ever seen, nor do I recall the TX being "unbalanced" in any way. rick markel

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

Rubber duckys are great. I have flown with them and they have great range. No problems ever. As far as balance, it is really kewl. The shorter anteena feels different. The momemtum when whipping your transmitter around is gone, plus you never have to retract it!!

Reply to
Joe D.

I use one for slope soaring. Havent noticed a range loss but they fly close in anyway. I know guys that fly thermal duration and use rubber duckie antennas with no problem.

Reply to
Fubar

I use one for my RCHLGs, since whipping the plane in the air causes me to whip the transmitter and bend the antenna when I'm not careful. The range is not as good as with original, but adequate for Discus Launch gliders. I can't see those little things more than a thousand feet away anyway. I prefer the regular antenna for my 3 meter ships. I've noticed some glitching when flying at the edge of the field with the Rubber Duckey (2000 feet), but can usually fly back the plane by moving the transmitter to a different position.

The BNC connector works fine. The adapter does come loose, though, so I check it before each round at a contest.

-Fritz

Reply to
Fritz Bien

Also the chances of getting the tip of your antenna in the prop arc while hand launching is reduced too... I've done it! Mike D.

Reply to
M Dennett