Balance point on a flying wing??

Morning gents...

can anyone point me in the right direction for a balance point on a flying wing. Planform is similar to a Zagi...

cheers Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo". "If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask. His reply:  "you a dinosaur"

Reply to
astroflyer

A Zagi balances, IIRC, about 8 1/4" from the nose. However, not all wings have the same sweep and taper, and yours may differ. I think the Unicorn balances around 10" from the nose. Use TLAR and toss it a few times.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Around 25-30% of mean aerodynamic chord from the LE at center span is a good starting point.

Try this calculator to find the CG position for you:

Gregg Uhlendorf

Don't quote me on this (or anything else....), but I think that's a good rule of thumb for a conventional plane only ~ The guys at my field who have flying wings claim that the CG must be much farther forward than this.

Best advice I can offer is to find one that seems to work, (it just landed) and ask the owner if you can poke your fingers under it.

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

that's what I suspected as well which is why I asked the question. thanks.

MY son built one from depron and normal 30 percent showed up as real tail heavy. we wound up hanging the battery much further ahead than I thought it should be.

cheers Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo". "If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask. His reply:  "you a dinosaur"

Reply to
astroflyer

You guys are right. I was unaware of this difference. I just ran the numbers from my son's Wingwarrior Raider(a 48" span Zagi clone). The recommended CG range comes out to be approximately 20-22% of MAC.

The info on this CG calculator:

says 20-25% of MAC for flying wings vs 30-33% for conventional craft. so I guess 20% would be a good place to start.

Reply to
Gregg Uhlendorf