Balsrite in Calif.?

Hey Gang: Been away from building for a few years. Just came back from my local Hobby Shop to pick up some "Balsarite" and to my surprise, Ya cant get it in California.? So my Question: How do you get it or is there an alternative ??

Thanks

Reply to
Denis Winters

Hobby Lobby sells some water-based stuff called "BalsaLoc". I used some of the stuff to stick a covering called Litespan onto an early Lazy Bee kit. I'm guessing BalsaLoc is a type of heat-activated fabric glue you might find in sewing craft stores. The wife did a craft called "Pretty Punch" once that used a water-thinned adhesive that she applied to the fabric and let it dry. Then she ironed her project on to a garmet. Can you find clear dope? Thin it down and try that. It'll seal the wood and help the film coverings stick better.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Tower still carries it I think. As every substance known to man causes cancer in California, it may be illegal to use there. Shame too as it works well.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

Morris: Thanks: I think I will go ahead and do the thinned Dope: that I can get

and Jim: Yes tower does sell Balsarite but state right on their web page: will not ship to California Grrrrrr

and I was in Arizona about two weeks ago if I knew i would have grabbed a bunch

Reply to
Denis Winters

Stix-it is bout the same stuff.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

If you do a good job of removing dust from your structure before covering you shouldn't need balsarite. Saves weight and money!

Ed

Denis W>Hey Gang: Been away from building for a few years. Just came back from my

Reply to
Ed Smega

We use this in the UK - its water based as you say, and heat sensitive. Good stuff.

I'd use it as an alternative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I too was frustrated by the absence of BalsaRite in CA. I have switched to SIG's Stix-It, and it is very similar. Unless you're careful, it will go on thicker than the BalsaRite so go easy with it.

Reply to
Robert McCoy