Battery Voltage/mAh Question

All,

I just bought a GWS Pico Stick F.. The battery requirement is 6.0 -

7.2v and 110 - 270 mAh. I have a 7.4v 1700 mAh LiPo battery left over from the last plane I totaled.. Will this work or will I burn out the motor?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
dan.hoffard

You won't burn out the motor, but it may weigh too much. That's a SMALL wing....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

it will work, but its probably too heavy. Typically a 2 cell 850mAh is about as high as you want to go.

If you buy a new pack actually a 3s 300-600 pack and knock 20% off prop diameter and pitch it gives you far more power and efficiency and the motors actually last LONGER. I.e. if yu have teh A gears which recommend a 9x7 prop, 3s LIPO and a 7x6 prop runs at less current, but about 50% more power OUT.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The LiPo is just over an ounce heavier than the battery they recommend.. Is that enough to make a difference?

Reply to
dan.hoffard

On a 6oz plane, maybe...

try it, but expect to be dissapointed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One other question, I should have read more before buying, but it appears the motor that was included is called an "Indoor Power Supply" IPS, however it does say you can step up to a 280 motor (not inclulded).. Does this mean I won't be able to fly it outdoors until I get the 280?

Reply to
dan.hoffard

Nah. IPS motors have been known propped and celled right to get to 45mph!

My favorite light wind combo was the IPS on 3s LIPO 350mAh, 'A' gears and a 7x6.

Don't fly in much over 10mph steady, or 5mph gusts tho.

Not on a pico stik. But they are great fun in light air.

Try and land it on your head in a breeze ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Pico Stick is not a speed demon. An once will increase it's weight by about 15%. It will probably fly, but just wallow around at the higher wing loading. Landing speed will also be higher. I really think you'd be happier with a smaller pack. It'll be easier to balance too!

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill