BIG non-scale Airplanes

I would like to get some interest stirred up in the old BIG NON-SCALE planes of yesteryear. It seems that everything is headed to small park and backyard planes today. I too, have park flyers and enjoy them very much, but long for some BIG NON-SCALE action.

Can anyone in the group steer me to either kits or plans for Big NON-SCALE airplanes that are available on the market, such as the Sr. Telemaster, Volksplane (thats an oldie)? To my knowlege, Bruce Tharp's "Fly'n King" and Hobby Lobby's Sr. Telemaster are the only two kits available today. While I have no experience with the "Fly'n King", I know from experience that the Sr. Telemaster construction could be greatly simified. The thing that immediately turns me off about the "Fly'n King" is the short coupling or lack of fuselage length. I am convinced the the splended flightch characteristics of the Sr. Telemaster is due in part to its lifting tail and to a greater extent it's long tail moment. I understand that the stick construction of the telemaster is aimed to keeping the weight to a minimum, but it is hellish to assemble and it's instructions amateurish and confusing with many errors. Balsa selection leaves much to be desired also.

Back when Hobby People were Hobby Shack, they had a large .60 size kit called the "QB 60 Monster". Anyone remember it?? I bought it and built it but it had aileron flutter that defied all attempts to correct. Anyone ever have the same problem with this kit?? If I were building it today, I would modify it to delete the strip ailerons and opt for Barn Door ailerons and would also add flaps. This kit came with an aluminum frame for glider launces and an integral bomb drop.

Please share your comments and information.

Reply to
dthigpen

I'm not familiar with the QB 60 Monster, although I'm sure I have seen it many times. It just doesn't ring a bell.

The method to eliminating most aileron problems is to use a servo connected to the surface via a simple direct pushrod. No torque rods and no bellcranks. Of course, this means that the servo will have to be mounted out in the wing and that provisions for cabling will have to be made. This is so easy and simple to do it is pathetic. Yet, many of us still struggle with habits long familiar.

It appears that lots of the old standard large glow models are disappearing along with their enthusiasts. It would be nice to see some of them resurrected in modern materials and construction techniques. We certainly are not lacking for powerful engines these days.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Nemo

Seemsd like Bridi had some. I'm not sure if the guy that took over will have them too. search for bridi mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Take a look at the old Lazy Ace, it is a classic.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Storm's Hamburgers

I'm afraid about the only way to resurrect these are scratch building from plans. I like the stuff of the '60s (now vintage R/C).

(OT on small but old) Nice thing about electrics is the power is up with new batteries and brushless motors. I've been looking at some late '30s Scientifics like the Varsity at 50" span. It is light enough it could be powered electrically, mount batteries as brick and as forward as possible to balance short coupled nose.

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Have a look at this site. It is a flying school and he sells plans for their trainer. I have one and it flies great. carries cameras, drops parachutists etc. Yes it is all stick construction, but worth the effort.

regards

Tom Watson

Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tom Watson

the ace bingo series are still around.nice flyers.i am currently flyin

a big bingo using an os bgx but this winter ,i hope to stick a gasser i the nosethey are around in kit form.85 inch -2pc wing

regards ;ke

-- kroflite5

----------------------------------------------------------------------- kroflite54's Profile:

this thread:

kroflite54

High Plains Thumper wrote in news:Xns96BF94777EFB2hpt@216.168.3.44:

Just pulled up a 3-view of it. Elliptical fuselage cross-section, tapered wing, tapered lifting stab, now that's a building job! Has a neat look to it, though.

I've recently found myself banging my head against the too-light electric motor problem. I built an HOB Chea-Pass Laser Stick 10 and converted it to electric. The kit was designed for a .074-0.10, and I figured that since a .10 can put out about 20 oz of static thrust, then an electric motor that puts out 20 oz should be just about right. Ahh, look, my little Esskay 400XT should be perfect.

Now, an AP .09, Enya .09, or OS .10FP all weigh about 6 oz by the time you include the mount. A nice .15, which is what I think everyone puts on that plane, weighs more like 7 to 8 oz with mount. So, when I put my stubby 1.8 oz electric motor on the nose . . .

Oh, sure, I crammed the battery to the very front, but it turns out that the battery weighs about the same a tank with fuel in it. The receiver and ESC are crammed forward, too, but the rx + ESC weigh about what the throttle servo would weigh . . . I tried lightening the tail, but I still wound up bolting two tire weights (3.5 oz total) to the front of the firewall, just under the motor. Yes, the balance weights weigh about 20% of the takeoff weight, or twice as much as the motor itself. How embarrassing . . .

About a year ago I scratch-built a Commando (Modelcraft, 1942, I think) and it came out beautiful, but even after I replaced the motor with a larger one and put an ounce of lead in the nose, it's still a little tailheavy. And the wing isn't rigid enough, but that's another story.

Reply to
Mark Miller

I built several years ago two Greatplanes SuperSporters, size 20 and size 40, and they was the best flying and more funny airplanes of all my hangar. I buyed also the fantastic 90-120 size with a OS FS91 four stroke. I had no time yet to build it but I think it is an excellent choice, maybe not in production now by Greatplanes.

Raff

Reply to
Raff

Greetings,

I just finished building a T-Rex by Mosquitobite planes at

It's an 85" wingspan laser cut kit. I converted it to electric and it flies extremely well. It's pretty overpowered with an Axi 4130-20 and 9s2p 5000mah Tanic pack lipoy's. It uses some very unusual construction techniques and is a very precision laser cut model. Highly recommend it.

Regards,

Art

Reply to
Art K6KFH

How about a Dallaire Sportster? Now that's really going back :^) To about

1936.

It's a real floater and needs lots of runway to land.

Scott

-- Preston S Justis Astrophotography home page:

Preston S Justis

"Preston S Justis" wrote in news:83oQe.15775 $Bc2.6996@trnddc06:

The Dallaire's nice, but give me a Cumulus - same era (1937, I think), a little smaller at 96", and great lines.

Reply to
Mark Miller

I thought the Ace Bingo line went extinct back in about 1997 where are they available from? please...

FWIW the Sig four star series fly very much like a Bingo, but the Bingo just Looks better ;-)

Reply to
Bob Cowell

hi bob

actually they were discontinued in the mid 80s.I found mine when i di a wanted post in rc universe and other rc sites.You can find them o e-bay but got to be patient.in e-bay do a search on ace.

regards ke

-- kroflite5

----------------------------------------------------------------------- kroflite54's Profile:

this thread:

kroflite54

Hmmm, that's earlier than I thought. Since I don't "e-bay" and don't frequent any of the online forums, I guess I'll just have to be content with the NIB Big Bingo that I have stashed in my "to-do" area.

bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Sig was advertising a big bipe ARF in the latest MA.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'll have to kill a few of my current planes so I have room for the new ones ;-) I have a nice old Quadra 35 for the Big Bingo. I also have a nice Brison 4.2 waiting to get a ride on a GP Giant Aeromaster if I ever get the time to crack the plastic wrap on the box and start building.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

"Bob Cowell" <

You shouldn't have said that! I said that a couple of weeks ago and guess what? :( mk

Reply to
MK

My favorite planes get a hard life, but tend to get repaired fairly quickly even after major damage. One of them is all new from the trailing edge of the wing forward. now it is slated for a new wing since I managed to get the wing to "clap hands" last week. the problem is that I seem to have a collection of "hanger queens" that take up a lot of space, and rarely see daylight

Reply to
Bob Cowell