Building Table

Blame my science teachers of fifty odd years ago who gave me the information.

I found it hard to believe perhaps that's why it has stuck with me.

I don't really know the difference between "super cooled" and "frozen" - to me either is "solid".

Other examples of materials having similar properties were given only two of which I remember and evidence for the properties was demonstrated.

Pitch and ice, like glass, are considered to be "solid" and can be broken. Ice flows as exhibited in glaciers, and pitch also "flows" very slowly - actually more quickly than the others and this was demonstrated in the science lab.

Lead also moves, but in this case it is termed "creep".

When I worked in a metallurgical lab, the bench was covered in lead sheet and over the years bulged outwards over the edges. Lead sheet used for roofing gradually creeps downwards and in so doing gets thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom. Lead pipes sag between their supports.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

Whut?? :