Dick McCoy R.I.P.

-----Original Message----- From: sfrank69 [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net] Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:58 PM
To: snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Cc: Norm Rosenstock Subject: McCoy
From: Tim Dannels
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:56 AM
Subject: Dick McCoy
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that we have lost another of the grand old men of modeling. Friday afternoon, December 30, 2005 Dick McCoy passed away peacefully. He was 98-1/2 years old. He will be missed by family, friends and the modeling world in general.
It would take much more time to list his accomplishments and this will be attempted in times to come. For now, we want to let as many as possible in the modeling world know of this great loss. We will certainly miss you, Dick. Our sympathies go out now to his two sons, Carl and Harold, his daughter Doris and his wonderful wife Rosalie. Our prayers are with you in this time of great sorrow.
Please pass this on to his many friends.
Tim Dannels

I am sorry to learn of Dick's passing.
Is this the same McCoy that was the progenitor of McCoy engines?
Ed Cregger
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:08:45 -0500, "Ed Cregger" < snipped-for-privacy@yahu.com (replace the u with oo)> wrote:

The same, Ed. His McCoy .35 Redhead ($6.95, mid '60's) was central to my graduation from Cox .049 powered stuff. I could afford it on a student's budget.
Bye Dick, and Thanks.
Abel

Yep, Dick helped many of us make the leap for small engines to the .35 class of engines. A .35 was considered heavy iron back the day. I flew mine on a Goldberg Shoestring Stunter.
I didn't know a thing about break-in back then, nor did I know about the lean 4-cycling expected of a Stunt engine. I used to buy'em, bolt'em and fry'em all on the same day. <G>
Dick really left his mark in the world. Good-bye, old friend.
Ed Cregger
I remember flying a McCoy 60 in CL Class C speed (1948?). The only 60 that could compete with the Hornet. So sad to hear about another pioneer passing.
--
TallyHo!
Ed
"Ed Cregger" < snipped-for-privacy@yahu.com (replace the u with oo)> wrote in message
Nice museum article here on Mr. McCoy- www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/McCoy.htm My very first glow engine was a McCoy .29, nearly 60 years ago.
Bill(oc)
IIRC, the McCoy engines available after about 1956 were a product of Testors Corporation, the glue & dope people.
Dick McCoy's line of engines were in the '40s and early '50s. Originally the McCoy Red Heads were rear rotary (RR) racing engines first on ignition then glow when glow became available. Later Dick marketed a line of sport engines, first also RR but then front rotary (FR) sport engines which were not red-headed. He sold out the line to Testors.
Testors came out with the newer design FR sport engine with a RH to maintain the reputation of the older McCoy line. They also used an outline very close to the older top-of-line engine, the Orwick, which Hi-Johnson also copied in the Johnson 29-32 engines.
The McCoy RH 35 was a decent engine for a few hours. Unless one knew how to harden and swell the piston, it could be gone within 10 hours of flying time. That attribute should not be leveled on Dick McCoy!! Testors last entry into the RC field was that gray "Big Ugly" with the K&B piston/liner/dykes ring which was a good engine, just a day late and a dollar short. Again not to be a reflection on the late great Dick McCoy.
You did good, Dick. May you rest in peace.
Ed Cregger wrote:
:: ::::: Cc: Norm Rosenstock ::::: Subject: McCoy ::::: ::::: From: Tim Dannels ::::: ::::: Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:56 AM ::::: ::::: Subject: Dick McCoy ::::: ::::: ::::: It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that we have ::::: lost another of the grand old men of modeling. Friday afternoon, ::::: December 30, 2005 Dick McCoy passed away peacefully. He was ::::: 98-1/2 years old. He will be missed by family, friends and the ::::: modeling world in general. ::::: ::::: It would take much more time to list his accomplishments and this ::::: will be attempted in times to come. For now, we want to let as ::::: many as possible in the modeling world know of this great loss. ::::: We will certainly miss you, Dick. Our sympathies go out now ::::: to his ::::: two sons, Carl and Harold, his daughter Doris and his wonderful ::::: wife Rosalie. Our prayers are with you in this time of great ::::: sorrow. ::::: ::::: Please pass this on to his many friends. ::::: ::::: Tim Dannels ::: Cross posted to the UK group ::: :: :: :: I am sorry to learn of Dick's passing. :: :: Is this the same McCoy that was the progenitor of McCoy engines? :: :: Ed Cregger The very same
Sorry to hear that...my first jump from an OK.049, was to a really big engine, a McCoy .19, in 1955.
Phil AMA609