Electric Calc Question

I've been flying glow RC Planes for about 6 years, got out of the hobby for 2 yeas, and now after getting back my AMA card I'm taking a serious look at the electrics (just to do something different). My question currently is about how to select the appropriate electric motor for a given plane. I have downloaded the MotoCalc evaluation software (not used it yet but will soon) and was curious if there were other peices of software which would benifit me. I will be building a GreatPlanes Slowpoke 40 (when I drag it out of the movers box).

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Go to rcgroups.com electric sportplane forum:

Register as a user and post a question regarding power reccomendations for your specific application. You will undoubtedly find someone who has already been through your exact project and done the necessary calculations.

The GP kits are especially portly with lots of plywood. You might want to try a kit engineered for electric rather than a conversion for your first electric project.

Reply to
mike tully

Thanks, I'll do that. I still would like to convert the slowpoke because of it's light wing loading.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Cheaper, for sure. I like the AXI motors that make for a pretty simple conversion. Have a look at them here.

You'd probably need a 2814 or 2820.

Good Luck, Phill

Reply to
PCPhill

On 6/27/2004 10:28 AM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Go to E-Zone

and look in the Sport Plane section (also do a search there). This is where the discussions for conversions are.

The 2 biggest pieces of information you will need for MotoCalc, is the weight of the AIRFRAME ALONE and how you want it to perform. MotoCalc can even make recommendations on motor, battery, prop and gearing for you.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

There are lots of bits of software around - P-calc, Eletricalc, some online motor simulation softare, MUMTATS - you name it someone has done it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher